4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Member..Also with maybe an ugly problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 08:19 AM
steelcityg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member..Also with maybe an ugly problem

Hi,
I'm new and my name is George. I have a fairly new 2013 Ram 5.7 with about 25,000 miles.
I'll try to get to the point quick.
I had my oil changed at a local repair chain and they really screwed it up. The wife and I were on a 300+ mile trip and she noticed smoke out the back of my truck. Well after I got to where we were going, I decided to check the oil and it was the entire way up the dipstick, 3" plus past the normal level. Obviously they double filled it or never drained the old oil first.
So I drained about 6-7 quarts out before it got to normal level.
My question is, what are the problems it could've caused, if any? It seems that the smoking has stopped but I'm really worried since it was a $50,000 truck. I intend to call the repair shop's corporate headquarters today but I'm not sure if I should just take it to the dealer and have them look it over at the repair shops expense.
Any help here would be great.
Thanks
George

Old 07-28-2014, 09:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Over filling the oil gets the level up into quickly moving parts. That tends to whip air into the oil, so, it doesn't lubricate as well. That can lead to premature bearing failure.... Assuming that they didn't drain the oil first..... one would think they should have caught that when the check the oil before you leave, to verify that things are as they should be. Think I would be real tempted to completely change the oil again..... New filter as well. (save the bill.)

When you get home, go and have a chat with the folks that did the oil change. If nothing else, just to let them know that someone seriously screwed up, and you would like them to pay to have your engine condition checked. (oil pressure, compression, etc.) If they refuse, call their corporate headquarters, and have the same chat with them. If they still refuse, you could chat with a lawyer, but, not sure if you would come out ahead on that. (lawyer may cost more than the inspection.)

That said, if the engine isn't using any more oil, oil pressure is where it should be, and it runs good, probably no harm done.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:45 AM
steelcityg

Thanks. That's what I was kind of thinking of doing. I already talked to Techs at Dodge and they said I should get it checked out just to be safe like you said, and that maybe the catalytic converter could get damaged, but the light should come on if it is.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:10 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Moving to the correct section.

Old 02-13-2023, 08:31 PM
reddawg77

Subject: RE: 2003 dakota

So we are going to replace the rear main seal again its leaking. We are also going to replace the PCV valve as we figure it has blocked off due to condensation going through it . so we are also going to put in a oil catch can canister that should alleviate the pressure that is building up causing the oil leaks, with the canister it will have to be emptied every so often. I have the parts on order and should have everything here for Friday! As for the cats they are not plugged so will leave those alone at this time.

Old 02-13-2023, 10:47 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 574 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by steelcityg
Hi,
I'm new and my name is George. I have a fairly new 2013 Ram 5.7 with about 25,000 miles.
I'll try to get to the point quick.
I had my oil changed at a local repair chain and they really screwed it up. The wife and I were on a 300+ mile trip and she noticed smoke out the back of my truck. Well after I got to where we were going, I decided to check the oil and it was the entire way up the dipstick, 3" plus past the normal level. Obviously they double filled it or never drained the old oil first.
So I drained about 6-7 quarts out before it got to normal level.
My question is, what are the problems it could've caused, if any? It seems that the smoking has stopped but I'm really worried since it was a $50,000 truck. I intend to call the repair shop's corporate headquarters today but I'm not sure if I should just take it to the dealer and have them look it over at the repair shops expense.
Any help here would be great.
Thanks
George

I have an ugly problem, but I've learned to NOT look in the mirror. You might have gotten lucky and not had any internal damage. Have you noticed any difference in the oil pressure from what it was before the oil change in question? Like Heyyou said, frothing is bad as all the air bubbles have NO lubricity. Since it was smoking, I'd pull a few plugs and check for oil fouling. Has your fuel mileage dropped much? I have a friend who runs an oil change place and he has fired a couple of folks who couldn't pay attention to detail and just rush through. One didn't even change the filter. I'd definitely change the oil and filter so you know it's all fresh oil and no old contaminants from the unchanged filter.

Old 03-27-2023, 10:12 AM
Alden

how to repair mds will a new non mds cam and lifter cam kit fix the problem?

Quick Reply: New Member..Also with maybe an ugly problem