4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New truck exhaust question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 07:56 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98Dodgeram360V8Mag
Oh, well I am glad to hear that! It says fuel saver or something like that. Anyways, it does feel like it loses power whenever it comes on.

It may very well be the MDS kicking in. I'm sure there have been more than a handful of changes since 2009. Google is your best friend.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:00 AM
98Dodgeram360V8Mag
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparMan1991
It may very well be the MDS kicking in. I'm sure there have been more than a handful of changes since 2009. Google is your best friend.
I will just have to do some research on it. I hope that's not what it's doing because I really want to take out the muffler and put in a Magnaflow muffler or a Y pipe and I don't want to have to worry about it sounding mean and good one minute and then like a weed eater the next.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:14 PM
Old Man with a hemi
Veteran

I will just have to do some research on it. I hope that's not what it's doing because I really want to take out the muffler and put in a Magnaflow muffler or a Y pipe and I don't want to have to worry about it sounding mean and good one minute and then like a weed eater the next.

It's never going to sound like a weed eater, but it is going to sound different than when all 8 cylinders are firing. It's just not a very desirable sound, or a boner killer as Moparman has stated.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:30 AM
NV290
All Star

Anyways, it does feel like it loses power whenever it comes on.
You can't feel it lose power because MDS will not come on when you are accelerating. It only comes on when you are keeping the throttle steady, like on the highway. And it kicks off instantly when you increase the throttle.

I had an 06' 5.7 Hemi before my current truck and replaced my factory exhaust from the front resonator back with a custom free flow exhaust. When the MDS kicks in their is no mistaking the sound. It sounds like a helicopter under water under your truck. That is why i left one of the resonator's in. If you drive with a heavy foot the MDS will not come on much. But if you drive "normal" then you will hear it pretty often.

I was more concerned with fuel economy and driveablity so i left MDS alone. But if you are dead set on a loud exhaust and are willing to lose MPG's, then buy a programmer and you can manually disable MDS.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:58 AM
98Dodgeram360V8Mag
Veteran

Originally Posted by NV290
You can't feel it lose power because MDS will not come on when you are accelerating. It only comes on when you are keeping the throttle steady, like on the highway. And it kicks off instantly when you increase the throttle.

I had an 06' 5.7 Hemi before my current truck and replaced my factory exhaust from the front resonator back with a custom free flow exhaust. When the MDS kicks in their is no mistaking the sound. It sounds like a helicopter under water under your truck. That is why i left one of the resonator's in. If you drive with a heavy foot the MDS will not come on much. But if you drive "normal" then you will hear it pretty often.

I was more concerned with fuel economy and driveablity so i left MDS alone. But if you are dead set on a loud exhaust and are willing to lose MPG's, then buy a programmer and you can manually disable MDS.
Well I am not wanting an extremely loud exhaust like what was on my 98 (true duals with no cats and 18" glasspacks to 18" tips) I just was to simply take out the stock muffler and put probably an 18" Magnaflow on. But it is starting to sound like I can't because if the MDS. :/

Old 09-01-2014, 12:33 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

Well I am not wanting an extremely loud exhaust like what was on my 98 (true duals with no cats and 18" glasspacks to 18" tips) I just was to simply take out the stock muffler and put probably an 18" Magnaflow on. But it is starting to sound like I can't because if the MDS. :/

Don't let the MDS stop you from improving the sound of your truck.

Consider this, you won't be disappointed.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:57 PM
NV290
All Star

For me it was tolerable, but at times it can be annoying. Again, i kept one of the stock resonators to make it less obnoxious. With no resonators it's beyond annoying.

I also bought the Magnaflow Y pipe but never installed it because the exhaust shop said it was a waste of time. If you need it hit me up.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:30 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker

The MDS is the reason I decided to leave my exhaust stock. That and I'm quite enjoying the quiet lol.

If you want to avoid the MDS sound , a programmer and removing the MDS is your only option.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:12 PM
NV290
All Star

Originally Posted by Johnn123
The MDS is the reason I decided to leave my exhaust stock. That and I'm quite enjoying the quiet lol.
Same here on my new truck. I had the loud exhaust for so long i forgot how nice it is to have a quiet ride.

Originally Posted by Johnn123
If you want to avoid the MDS sound , a programmer and removing the MDS is your only option.
Agreed. And if you are looking for a free flowing exhaust for additional performance gains then a programmer is a must anyhow. If the only thing you do to one of these trucks is change the exhaust because you want to pick up more HP it's a waste of money. On an otherwise stock truck doing a cat back exhaust pretty much does only two things. Voids your exhaust warranty and makes your truck louder.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:50 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by NV290
Same here on my new truck. I had the loud exhaust for so long i forgot how nice it is to have a quiet ride.

Agreed. And if you are looking for a free flowing exhaust for additional performance gains then a programmer is a must anyhow. If the only thing you do to one of these trucks is change the exhaust because you want to pick up more HP it's a waste of money. On an otherwise stock truck doing a cat back exhaust pretty much does only two things. Voids your exhaust warranty and makes your truck louder.
Its so nice being able to go out in the morning and not wake everyone up lol.

Exactly. I find my stock duals to be loud enough as is aha.

Quick Reply: New truck exhaust question.