4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Factory Stereo Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 12:28 AM
redbiddymax
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Stereo Problem

Okay so I bought a used 2009 Ram 1500 SLT Crew Cab. It has the factory stereo in it. My problem is that after driving a few minutes the entire stereo shuts off and I have no control to turn the stereo back on. After turning the truck off for a few hours it may or may not turn back on. Does anyone have any clue as to what I can do at home to fix this problem? Since it was used I don't have any warranty from the Dealership for them to fix it free. I pulled the face off the dash to check if there were any loose wires behind the stereo. Everything is plugged in and not loose. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:50 AM
redbiddymax

Also where is the ground for the stereo located? Thought I would give this a check at home too.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:25 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it may be overheating. Perhaps there is a cooling fan in the radio someplace that has malfunctioned.

If you recently purchased the truck and this started happening right away maybe go back to the dealer you purchased it from and see if they'll help out.

There is a separate fuse for the radio. You could pull that the next time it goes out and see if that resets it. If it does then it isn't overheating (assuming you do the fuse thing right away).

Rob

Old 09-17-2014, 10:01 PM
bluebeast1562
Veteran

I concur with Rob, check the fuse. Could just be pushed in a little and with vehicle motion, pops out.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:36 PM
redbiddymax

Yeah tried the fuse, fuse was fine and even put a new one in just in case it was a bad fuse. Fuse definitely not the problem.

I did pull the stereo out and noticed the outer casing of the stereo was extremely hot, much more hot than any car stereo should feel so maybe the fan is the problem. I'll check with the dealer and see what they come up with.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:14 AM
jawsdc
Veteran

Mine (2009 REN Laramie) has done the same thing before. Always related to exterior heat in my case.
Here's the good news, it probably will not be a problem when it cools off and it may somehow correct itself. I have not had the problem return for 2 or 3 years. I have MaxCare and it's covered under warranty but has not been a problem so I have not even worried about it.
Good Luck

Old 09-23-2014, 08:28 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redbiddymax
Okay so I bought a used 2009 Ram 1500 SLT Crew Cab. It has the factory stereo in it. My problem is that after driving a few minutes the entire stereo shuts off and I have no control to turn the stereo back on. After turning the truck off for a few hours it may or may not turn back on. Does anyone have any clue as to what I can do at home to fix this problem? Since it was used I don't have any warranty from the Dealership for them to fix it free. I pulled the face off the dash to check if there were any loose wires behind the stereo. Everything is plugged in and not loose. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.
I have an old Res radio with u connect capabilities and sat ready (the res is the stock radio non touch screen) just sitting on the bench in my garage depending on your location I'll practically give it to you for a few bucks and if you paid shipping. Obviously if the dealer won't help you out. Let me know.

Quick Reply: Factory Stereo Problem