4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Remove B-Pillar Grab Handle ??

Old 09-18-2014, 04:48 PM
Capn Preshoot
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove B-Pillar Grab Handle ??

4th gen Ram Crew Cab, need to remove B-pillar grab handle on pass. side so I can access area above the headliner. I opened the 2 little popouts and removed the 2 bolts but am unable to remove it. Obviously more to it. Tips appreciated.

As addt'l info as to my reason for needing access, I've drilled a 3/4" antenna mount hole in the roof and wound up dead-center of a V-channel reinforcing bar. No problem getting the antenna mounted, but a tried to run a steel fish tape through it and keep dead-ending at the top of the B-pillar. I'm thinking I could possibly get to the fishtape if I could get the B-pillar off in order to get access under the headliner. (or am I basically screwed?)

Thanks in advance!!

Old 09-18-2014, 08:15 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The instructions in the shop manual call the quad cab, must be the same for the crew. The steps are 1 thru 6. I added the the instructions to the "refer to" below. A little confusing without the pictures but I can't paste them.

1. Remove the lower B-pillar trim. (Refer to 23 - Body/Interior/PANEL, B-Pillar Trim - Removal)
2. Using a small flat-bladed tool, carefully open the two fastener covers (2) located on the grab handle.
3. Remove the two bolts (3) that secure the grab handle to the B-pillar and remove the grab handle.
4. Separate the seat belt turning loop cover and remove the turning loop bolt.
5. Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, disengage the retaining clips that secure the upper trim (1) to the pillar and remove the trim panel.
6. Remove the seat belt from the trim.

Refer to 23 - Body/Interior/PANEL, B-Pillar Trim - Removal
1. Remove the front door cowl trim panel. (Refer to 23 - Body/Interior/PANEL, Cowl Trim - Removal)
2. Remove the rear door scuff plate. (Refer to 23 - Body/Interior/PLATE, Scuff - Removal)
3. Release the retaining clips and remove the trim panel(1).

Refer to 23 - Body/Interior/PANEL, Cowl Trim - Removal
1. Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, disengage the retaining tabs of the cowl trim panel (1) from the retainer clips in the door sill.
2. Pull the cowl trim panel rearward and remove it from the vehicle

Refer to 23 - Body/Interior/PLATE, Scuff - Removal
1. Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, disengage the retaining tabs of the sill trim panel (1) from the retainer clips in the rear door sill and remove the trim panel.

Last edited by Pedro Dog; 09-18-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:57 AM
Capn Preshoot
Professional

Judas Priest!!!

Thanks Pedro. Wow! (translation: Damn) From the looks of this I may have bitten off more than I can chew and be better off plugging the "aw-sh**" hole and re-drilling another a couple inches forward of the present one. The one thing I have plenty of is the proper (Motorola) 3/4" antenna hole plugs which are pretty much watertight all by themselves and for longer term are easily made semi-permanent with only a tiny dab of silicone sealant (and easily painted) plus being on top of the truck would be barely noticeable.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:41 AM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't let the instructions scare you. The Cowl trim and Scuff plate pop off without any real special tools. The tool called out (C4755) is just a plastic pry tool. You can google "C4755 tool" and see what it looks like. Basically, just pry off anything that overlaps the Grab handle.

after that it's all prying except for the two bolts that you already know how to remove.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:38 AM
Capn Preshoot
Professional

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
Don't let the instructions scare you. The Cowl trim and Scuff plate pop off without any real special tools. The tool called out (C4755) is just a plastic pry tool. You can google "C4755 tool" and see what it looks like. Basically, just pry off anything that overlaps the Grab handle.

after that it's all prying except for the two bolts that you already know how to remove.
Thanks. Indeed the cowling & scuff cover, etc. pops right off as you say, but the bolt holding the seat belt turning loop won't budge. It's not LH thread is it?

Also the truck has side-restraint air bags. Is that something I need to be concerned about?

Last edited by Capn Preshoot; 09-20-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:07 PM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bet money it has thread locker on it. Most seat belt mounting bolts I have removed were coated with thread locker.

Old 09-20-2014, 12:15 PM
Capn Preshoot
Professional

Originally Posted by Duso02
I bet money it has thread locker on it. Most seat belt mounting bolts I have removed were coated with thread locker.
Never mind, GOT IT !! (Torx-50) with a 24" breaker bar. Judas priest!!!

Old 09-20-2014, 12:56 PM
Capn Preshoot
Professional

OKAY - all apart, but it appears the double-V roof reinforcing bar that I ran into on top is solid all the way across, meaning there's no place where you could get a piece of RG-58 coax cable out of it. So much for Plan A.

Today's lesson: Without body work and/or pulling the headliner down, it is not possible to install an NMO-type 3/4" antenna mount in the approximate center of the roof of a 4th gen Ram. You must go 6" forward (or 9" back) of the measured center of the roof line with your hole and then drill very carefully with a short (snubby) bit. Once your 1/8" pilot hole is (gingerly) made then use a 3/4" antenna hole saw (the kind with the depth-stop/combination deburring tool on it to prevent you from snagging the headliner). I'd also recommend sliding something under there, such as a yardstick, just to create a little more "safety gap" while drilling.

Recommended 3/4" antenna hole saws:
  • Motorola ST-157 - this is the original, real McCoy but long-since discontinued (I have one)
  • Antennex X-Act (never tried one but said to be very similar to the Motorola)
  • Ripley (Tesco SKU# 14023) (from the picture on Tesco's web site, this too will do the job)

Gotter done!!

Last edited by Capn Preshoot; 09-20-2014 at 02:13 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remove B-Pillar Grab Handle ??