4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rear bumper

Old 09-30-2014, 01:14 PM
brush4646
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear bumper

My rear bumper got dented. can I just replace the metal part and remove the step pad from the dented bumper and put it on the new one. Also how do the trailer electrical plugs disconnect?
Brush

Old 09-30-2014, 01:55 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking from point of reference of a Sport painted bumper, which I believe is what you'd have on your Express...

The rear bumper is fully able to be disassembled. You can unplug any electrical items behind the bumper, such as the trailer wiring and the reverse sensors if you have them. They are all just plugs that snap together. You can then remove the bumper assembly with, I think, four bolts. Once off the truck you can further disassemble by removing the metal support brackets, the step pad, trailer connector, and the reverse sensors themselves.

The step pad comes off by squeezing box-shaped tabs from underneath. Use a pliers. Squeeze and push them through. Reverse sensors pop out too. So does the trailer wiring jack module.

It's all remarkably easy. Can be done by one person. It's light. Having a second person to steady things may prevent accidental scratches.

Rob

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rear bumper