4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

backup camera/ nav combo for 2014 dodge ram?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 03:21 PM
mariners48
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default backup camera/ nav combo for 2014 dodge ram?

looking to get a backup cam/ nav combo for my 2014 dodge ram 1500 express. its the midnight black edition.. cant see worht a crap when i backup and doesent hurt to have the nav either so wth. any suggestions would be nice?

Old 11-23-2014, 07:55 PM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mariners48
looking to get a backup cam/ nav combo for my 2014 dodge ram 1500 express. its the midnight black edition.. cant see worht a crap when i backup and doesent hurt to have the nav either so wth. any suggestions would be nice?
I researched options for my 11' and after narrowing it down to Alpine or Kenwood i went with Kenwood because i really like Garmin GPS. I have the Kenwood DNX571HD unit which is touchscreen. Garmin Navigation, Sirius, HD Radio, CD player, Ipod interface, BluTooth Phone interface (Syncs contacts, speakerphone, etc) DVD and backup camera. All the factory steering wheel controls still work and the backup camera turns on when the truck is put in reverse or i can turn it on manually and use it as rear view mirror. I can even split screen it with my Nav. It has endless features that allow you to customize the audio to work with anything. It also does Pandora via Bluetooth.

Total cost for the radio, install kit, steering wheel interface and camera/tailgate handle was right around a grand. I paid to have it installed because it was winter and i don't have a garage but it's not a super tough install.

Last edited by NV290; 11-23-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:24 AM
mariners48

Cool! Thanks man. How's the gps? Pretty accurate?

Old 11-24-2014, 06:31 AM
stealthgoat
Professional

Originally Posted by NV290
I researched options for my 11' and after narrowing it down to Alpine or Kenwood i went with Kenwood because i really like Garmin GPS. I have the Kenwood DNX571HD unit which is touchscreen. Garmin Navigation, Sirius, HD Radio, CD player, Ipod interface, BluTooth Phone interface (Syncs contacts, speakerphone, etc) DVD and backup camera. All the factory steering wheel controls still work and the backup camera turns on when the truck is put in reverse or i can turn it on manually and use it as rear view mirror. I can even split screen it with my Nav. It has endless features that allow you to customize the audio to work with anything. It also does Pandora via Bluetooth.

Total cost for the radio, install kit, steering wheel interface and camera/tailgate handle was right around a grand. I paid to have it installed because it was winter and i don't have a garage but it's not a super tough install.
Do you have part numbers for the install kit and the steering wheel interface?

Old 11-24-2014, 11:53 AM
NV290
All Star

Originally Posted by stealthgoat
Do you have part numbers for the install kit and the steering wheel interface?
Steering wheel interface:

http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...?ProductId=277

As i mentioned above, i had this system installed a by a local stereo shop so i'm not certain as to the details on any other components used in the install. The above link for this interface says it HAS to be used with another device. But looking at my receipt and the box of packaging they gave me, i don't know what other component was used. But if you are buying this from a stero shop i'm sure they an steer you in the right direction.

I do know their is a small amount of cutting and bending on the interior dash supports for clearence. But from what i heard from the installer and a few people who have done installs themselves it's very straightforward. A hacksaw blade and pliers and about 15 minutes. Nothing complicated and the stock radio can be re-installed if you need to one day.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:17 PM
stealthgoat
Professional

Originally Posted by NV290
Steering wheel interface:

http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...?ProductId=277

As i mentioned above, i had this system installed a by a local stereo shop so i'm not certain as to the details on any other components used in the install. The above link for this interface says it HAS to be used with another device. But looking at my receipt and the box of packaging they gave me, i don't know what other component was used. But if you are buying this from a stero shop i'm sure they an steer you in the right direction.

I do know their is a small amount of cutting and bending on the interior dash supports for clearence. But from what i heard from the installer and a few people who have done installs themselves it's very straightforward. A hacksaw blade and pliers and about 15 minutes. Nothing complicated and the stock radio can be re-installed if you need to one day.
Thanks for the info NV290

Old 11-26-2014, 08:16 PM
NV290
All Star

Originally Posted by mariners48
Cool! Thanks man. How's the gps? Pretty accurate?
It's amazing. I use at all the time. I have yet to encounter an address that wasn't in it. Another nice feature is it shows the speed limits on the road your driving on next to an actual GPS based speed on your truck.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:17 PM
NV290
All Star

Originally Posted by stealthgoat
Thanks for the info NV290
Glad to help. So long as you are buying the stuff from a reputable stereo shop i'm sure they will make sure you have what you need.

Quick Reply: backup camera/ nav combo for 2014 dodge ram?