4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trailer tow mirror and brake control group

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 03:41 PM
Bilschmidt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer tow mirror and brake control group

Can the dealer install this option on a 2014 RAM 1500. My dealer says they can not install the tow mirrors but can install the trailer brake control. I would think the mirrors would be pretty easy. They look the same except they extend out further.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:19 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The mirrors are easy to install, I put some on mine - they are bolt and plug compatible. What they may not be able to figure out is how to activate the turn signals and puddle lights if your current mirrors do not have them.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:20 PM
Arctodus
Captain

Don't waster your money having them install anything, both the mirrors and the brake controller are super easy. I just installed my controller in 5 minutes, I bought the easy plug adaptor and it plugs right in under the steering wheel.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:32 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by Arctodus
Don't waster your money having them install anything, both the mirrors and the brake controller are super easy. I just installed my controller in 5 minutes, I bought the easy plug adaptor and it plugs right in under the steering wheel.

He is talking about the factory integrated controller, pretty sure you need to have that enabled by the dealer to make it work.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:16 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2 cents worth. If a dealership is uncomfortable performing simple work, it's time to find another dealership if you don't want on-going arguments & problems with them.

I installed an OEM trailer brake controller because I was able to get a really good deal on the installed price, If I was paying full price, I probably would have picked an aftermarket solution that would have given me both a better price and functionality. Aftermarket tow mirrors (bolt, plug, and function compatible) are a lot cheaper than OEM mirrors around here & you save a LOT more if you install them yourself.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:59 AM
Bilschmidt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone. The dealer installed the Integrated Trailer brake controller for free with the purchase of the RAM 1500 finally. I found some aftermarket mirrors that slip on and hook on. This seems the best option, then I don't have the big mirrors sticking out all the time.

Quick Reply: Trailer tow mirror and brake control group