4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How long can I really go on full size spare.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:20 PM
carlg
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long can I really go on full size spare.

My 2009 Dodge Ram comes with a full size spare. I got a flat tire this morning and the spare is on there.

I have tires picked out that I want but they are not available locally anywhere around here. I am ready to have all 4 replaced.

I found a few places online that have them, but I won't have them till at least a week. I need to use the truck off an on for the next week and I have a 100 mile trip on the highway that I need to make next week.

I will not be doing any major hauling or towing.

Do you think it's OK to just use the spare for the next week until I can get the tires I actually want? Or should I just give in and go buy the ones they have locally?

Old 11-28-2014, 06:39 PM
navyjetmech
Rookie

When you say "full size spare" I am assuming the spare is the same size as the tires installed on the truck. Full-size temporary spare tires and wheels match the vehicle's original tire dimensions and can handle a drive similar to normal tires and can handle a drive similar to a normal tire.

Old 11-28-2014, 07:08 PM
carlg
Amateur

It is a 20 inch spare. I'm not sure if it's the exact same dimensions as the others. But I was told it is considered a full sized spare.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:40 PM
mike2810
Captain

My 09 came with what was called a full size spare.

It was a 20 inch rim but a 17 inch rim tire
It was not a tire designed for extended use. The owner manual states for emergency use only, and 50mph max speed.

Look at the markings on the spare. If it indicates is a temp tire. I would not use it for extended period of time or miles.

When I needed new tires I bought a 20inch rim to replace the spare and five new tires. Mine is a 4x4 and did not like the idea of running it with one odd rim tire on the truck.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:22 AM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As others have pointed out, Look for large lettering in the sidewall of the tire that TEMPORARY USE ONLY. If you don't see that lettering and it just has normal tire lettering (a brand name, model and then the tire size) you have a normal tire albeit in a different size then the rest but with no real issue driving on it for long periods of time.

However, if it IS marked TEMPORARY USE ONLY then obey the speed rating on it and just take it easy. If all your driving is around town at slower speeds and you're not hauling anything or towing then realistically you could drive on it for a awhile. But i would not go on major highways or carry any real loads with a temp tire.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How long can I really go on full size spare.