4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Quad Cab Dimension Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 09:49 PM
joeylead
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quad Cab Dimension Questions

Hello, I currently own a 2003 Ram quad cab and am looking to purchase a newer ram. Looking at the rear legroom numbers, it says that the rear legroom on a newer quad cab is 2" less than my truck, while a crew cab has 4" more than my truck. I was wondering if the new quad cabs are a hair smaller in the back than my truck. Not being sure how these numbers are measured, I was wondering if someone could help with a subjective measurement. A buddy of mine has a 2010 crew cab. Measuring from the right side seat riser on the drivers seat )the bracket that bolts to the floor) to the base where the rear seat sits on, he got 20". That measurement on my truck was 14. So that tells me there is basically 6" more room in his truck between the back of the front seat and the rear seat. I was wondering what that measurement on a newer quad cab would be if anyone knows.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:54 AM
dwaldmann
Professional

That may be interesting, but it doesn't really tell you anything because there are just too many other variables.

For instance:
  • Where the front seat base is located relative to the dash/steering wheel/pedals. Because that will determine how far back on the rails the seat will be located, i.e. 50% back or 100% back.
  • The thickness/design of the front seatback. Same reason as above.
  • The configuration/location of the rear seat.
  • Even the relative height of the rear seat compared to the front seat can have an effect on the amount of available room.
Bottom line is, you can analyze "on paper" all you want, but the only way to get a real life answer is to go check it out in real life. Get in the drivers' seat, position it for comfort, and get in the back seat.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:01 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

2003 is a gen3, 2009 is a gen4 and 2013 had a minor redesign. I assume that Dodge/Ram/fiat used the same methodology to get the interior numbers. From the numbers it looks like from 2013 and on, that the quad cab lost some rear leg room. Here are the numbers from different brochures I found online.

--------2003 QCRB-----2009 QCRB-----2009 CCRB-----2013 QCRB-----2013 CCRB
FLR--------41-------------41--------------41------------41-------------41
RLR--------36.4-----------36.8------------42------------34.7-----------40.3

Seems like the cabin shrunk some after 2013

Last edited by Pedro Dog; 03-06-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:41 PM
joeylead
Rookie

Everything you wrote is correct. I was just wondering if there was a structural difference between the two cabs. Aside from that even just giving the rear seat a little more angle would decrease legroom by pusing the seat forward.

Originally Posted by dwaldmann
That may be interesting, but it doesn't really tell you anything because there are just too many other variables.

For instance:
  • Where the front seat base is located relative to the dash/steering wheel/pedals. Because that will determine how far back on the rails the seat will be located, i.e. 50% back or 100% back.
  • The thickness/design of the front seatback. Same reason as above.
  • The configuration/location of the rear seat.
  • Even the relative height of the rear seat compared to the front seat can have an effect on the amount of available room.
Bottom line is, you can analyze "on paper" all you want, but the only way to get a real life answer is to go check it out in real life. Get in the drivers' seat, position it for comfort, and get in the back seat.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:43 PM
joeylead
Rookie

I didn't realize that the numbers for an 09 were the same as mine. I'm guessing then that there was a change in 13 to make the rear seat more comfortable like giving it a better recline position that took up some legroom. It's just tight in a quad cab, even 2" less is a lot.

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
2003 is a gen3, 2009 is a gen4 and 2013 had a minor redesign. I assume that Dodge/Ram/fiat used the same methodology to get the interior numbers. From the numbers it looks like from 2013 and on, that the quad cab lost some rear leg room. Here are the numbers from different brochures I found online.

--------2003 QCRB-----2009 QCRB-----2009 CCRB-----2013 QCRB-----2013 CCRB
FLR--------41-------------41--------------41------------41-------------41
RLR--------36.4-----------36.8------------42------------34.7-----------40.3

Seems like the cabin shrunk some after 2013

Old 03-08-2015, 10:33 AM
NoMoreGMsForMe
Professional

There is no comfort for anyone larger than a small child or very short person to sit in the rear of a quad cab,at best they are only good as a storage compartment , want to have rear seat passengers get a crew cab.

Quick Reply: Quad Cab Dimension Questions