4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

BRAKE LIGHTS - When should they come on??

Old 03-26-2015, 02:57 PM
dodge29
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BRAKE LIGHTS - When should they come on??

When should the break lights on my 2011 Ram Crew Cab come on?

I just had an A.R.E. cap installed and noticed that the brake lights only come on what the truck is running and/or the key is in the run position. The guys at the cap dealership said that this would be the case, cap or not.

I never really noted before this if they came on while the truck was off and the key out. Most other vehicles I've had will light the brake lights when the vehicle is totally dead, key out.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:06 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 333 Likes on 297 Posts

Brake lights come on when the brake pedal is pressed noormally any time. Might be different on your truck. At any rate, if the truck is off and parked, you dont need brake lights anyway.

Last edited by jkeaton; 03-26-2015 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Needed to finish my sentence.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:12 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2009 wiring diagrams indicate an un-switched power source, although I can't say that I have ever noticed if they work when the truck is off or not (or care)

Old 03-26-2015, 03:57 PM
dodge29

Originally Posted by oldjeep
The 2009 wiring diagrams indicate an un-switched power source, although I can't say that I have ever noticed if they work when the truck is off or not (or care)
The thing is I'm having a hard time imagining what they could have done to caused this, the cap installers

Old 03-26-2015, 04:53 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Well you say you never noticed if they worked differently before. Only how they work now. Maybe they didn't work before either but now you're just noticing.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:32 PM
AZdave
Professional

My '09 1500 brake lamps come on while depressing the brake pedal without a key in the ignition as they do on every care I've owned - what you're experiencing is a definite safety issue.
Out of curiosity - do your hazards still work?

Old 03-26-2015, 06:40 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Why would it be a safety issue? If the trucks off, it's not moving. Sure it could have been something the installer did, but you don't know if this was like this before, it's your word against theirs. I'm trying to figure why installing a bed cap has anything to do with the brakes......

Old 03-26-2015, 07:08 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My '09's brake lights work in with the ignition set to ACC and on, not when OFF even with the key in the ignition.

I also have a cap on my truck and it does not matter if it's on or off, works the same way.

The factory provided tap for the brake light is a short white wire sticking off the harness that goes to the rear. Wire can be located if you crawl under the truck, looking up about halfway on the spare, driver's side. Harness goes under the cross member just next to the spare.

I can't speculate why AZdave's is different

Last edited by Pedro Dog; 03-26-2015 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:44 PM
dodge29

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
My '09's brake lights work in with the ignition set to ACC and on, not when OFF even with the key in the ignition.

I also have a cap on my truck and it does not matter if it's on or off, works the same way.

The factory provided tap for the brake light is a short white wire sticking off the harness that goes to the rear. Wire can be located if you crawl under the truck, looking up about halfway on the spare, driver's side. Harness goes under the cross member just next to the spare.

I can't speculate why AZdave's is different

Thanks Pedro. I'll look this over to see if that's where they tapped it. Also I want to unplug the main connector for the cap and see if it changes things. I'm guessing not. They all work correctly if the key is in the run position or truck is running. I never checked with the ACC position.

AZdave I'll check hazards as well.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:35 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my 2010 the brake lights will not come on unless the key is in the ignition and at least in the 'ACC' position. There is nothing wrong with your 2011.

Rob

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BRAKE LIGHTS - When should they come on??