4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Anyone Try LED H11 headlight bulbs?

Old 11-29-2015, 11:38 AM
dwaldmann
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IC.

My son has a '13 Express and he has quad non-projectors. Maybe when they introduced the projectors on the higher end they upgraded the duals to regular quads.

Old 11-29-2015, 04:00 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I've tried LEDs and now use HIDs in my factory projects. After messing with the headlights three times now, I probably have the whole remove grille and headlights/reinstall headlights and grille procedure down to 30 minutes or so.

They make some newer LED "bulbs" that do not have fans now, but heat-dispersing metal ribbons.

I tried a set similar to these that are 2500 lumens, from Xenon Depot. The factory 9012 bulbs in the projectors are rated at around 1875 lumens, so I figured this would be good. Looked way better as the LEDs were 6000k, but visibility was not improved much.

I also got the "bulb out" warning on my EVIC, which I could not stand. I ordered some extra "decoders" with the LEDs that supposedly thwarted the whole bulb out system, but turns out they don't work for our trucks and their picky system (the 2015+ are even more picky/temperamental). When I contacted Xenon Depot to perform a return, they told me because they had been installed, they were not returnable, and sent me a set of 50w resistors that are supposed to finish the job without errors. However, I want to avoid the resistors, so I uninstalled the LEDs and will be selling them soon.

I ordered a set of HIDs from Enlight, as they specifically promised on their site to have no errors and not require the use of resistors in 2013-2014 Rams. They are also based out of Minneapolis, which is somewhat close by for me. Their entire setup fit snugly inside the projector housing, and I only had to drill one little hole in the dust cap for a ground wire (which I extended and connected to the factory ground locations, since there is one on either side of the engine bay). They work as advertised, and their 3400 lumen HIDs (4300k) are much better than the factory halogens or the 2500 lumen LEDs. I am guessing the factory projectors are not optically setup well for how the LEDs deliver the light into them, and HID bulbs are similar enough to the halogen that they do a better job. The cut-off in the beam pattern is the same, so no blinding people.

I threw some "4000k" Philips halogen bulbs (CrystalVision Ultra) into the fog lights, and once the HIDs in the projectors warm up (about 30-60 seconds), they are very close in their color matching.

Last edited by jasonw; 11-29-2015 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Corrected a grammatical error.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:43 AM
dwaldmann
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonw
Their entire setup fit snugly inside the projector housing, and I only had to drill one little hole in the dust cap for a ground wire...
Their website says "you will have to drill a 25mm hole in the back of your headlight cap". Is it a typo and should read 2.5mm?

Anyways, they won't work for my '15.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:40 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The HID kit I put in has a wiring harness that needs to go through the dust cap. That harness has a rubber plug that is around 25mm in size, so that makes sense. Need enough diameter for the wire plug ends to pass through.

Rob

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone Try LED H11 headlight bulbs?