4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Leveling Kit = Squat Issue - Need Advice!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 09:25 AM
SupraRam
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leveling Kit = Squat Issue - Need Advice!

So I put on a 2 inch Hell Bent Steel Leveling Kit on my 12 Outdoorsman 1500. I figured there would be some squatting issues but after towing a vehicle on a flatbed over the weekend, its worse than I expected.

What are you guys using to "beef" up the rear suspension? Bags? What Brand/Version? What have you guys had the most success with?

Thanks in Advance!

Trey

Old 04-28-2015, 08:03 AM
xsparta11x
Professional

Airlift 1000 bags in the back for me. For the $75 I spent on them, they work great. I usually set mine to about 30psi.... says dont go about 25, but I like to live life on the edge, Plus it made a massive difference in squat.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:08 PM
SupraRam
Amateur

Thank you! I have read a ton on that kit and couldn't find a bad review. Was skeptical though as the pictures, don't make it look very durable. I went ahead and ordered them with the T for the Airline so both can be filled at the same time.

Thanks again for your reply.

Trey

Old 04-28-2015, 08:09 PM
dwaldmann
Professional

Originally Posted by SupraRam
What are you guys using to "beef" up the rear suspension?
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Thus, Four Corner Air Suspension...

Old 04-29-2015, 08:00 AM
xsparta11x
Professional

Thank you! I have read a ton on that kit and couldn't find a bad review. Was skeptical though as the pictures, don't make it look very durable. I went ahead and ordered them with the T for the Airline so both can be filled at the same time.

Trey
No problem. Yeah I am quite Happy with it. The only thing I have seen on here is that people are mounting the valve stem in all kinds of funky places. IMO, the best place to mount it is on the receiver hitch. To the left of the actual reciever you will see a small hole. This hole is the perfect size to push the valve stem through. Using the supplied washer and nut, it fits perfectly and is very convenient place to manager air pressure (if you are filling them up, you are most likely messing with the towing system anyways). Here is the best place.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:01 AM
AirLiftCompany
Former Vendor

Trey
Hey Trey,

I would really suggest running two separate lines to the air bags. Reason is when you run a tee you run the risk of air transfer from one bag to another while turning. Also if you have one bag that happens to leak no both bags will loose air because they are tee'd together.

The Air Lift 1000 for the Dodge is one of our most popular selling kits and I really do not see many issues with them. Let me know if you have any questions.

Jeremy

Old 05-01-2015, 09:34 PM
dwaldmann
Professional

Originally Posted by AirLiftCompany
I would really suggest running two separate lines to the air bags. Reason is when you run a tee you run the risk of air transfer from one bag to another while turning.
Good point.

Originally Posted by AirLiftCompany
Also if you have one bag that happens to leak no both bags will loose air because they are tee'd together.
So, you think it would be better to have one side higher than the other??!

Old 05-02-2015, 08:32 PM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Air Lift kit on my 11' and routinely haul 1,000+ of steel and the truck sits completely level. Install is simple and literally requires no tools whatsoever other then a razor blade to cut the hose. I ran mine with a T fitting and one fill valve to make filling the bags evenly much easier. I have had no issues during turns because the bed is loaded evenly.

Old 05-03-2015, 03:34 PM
dwaldmann
Professional

It would be easy enough to install a 1/4 turn ball valve on one leg if transfer during cornering became an issue. Ball valve open, fill both at the same time, close ball valve.

Quick Reply: Leveling Kit = Squat Issue - Need Advice!