4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replacing manifold bolts

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 08:57 AM
kaw550
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing manifold bolts

I have had a few break on the passeng side a while back.

I called two dealers and was quoted $800 to over $1000.
Unfortunately, I am the second owner of an '09 so it isn't covered under warranty.

Have any of you guys replaced them on your own? They broke flush with the top of the manifold. If I can get the unbroken bolts off, I may be able to get a wrench or an extractor over the end of the bolt.

Do they normally unthread without issue? Will they rusted in?

I Amfairly good at working on cars. I have two "classic" cars I am rebuilding. However, I hate working on my daily driver. I don't want to get into a situation where I have to pull the engine or heads to drill out the bolts.

I have not found a local shop I can trust.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:25 AM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

some had no problem backing out the bolts, some have. Some have had the dealer do the work and ended up with new heads. It's hard to tell in your particular case.

I've had both sides done by the dealer under warranty and they were able to get me in and out in the same day. One side happened while I was on vacation towing my TT. A small dealers in Preston Idaho gave me priority and I watched them do the job in about 3 hours. The mechanic put the truck up on the lift, removed the front tire and the manifold to do the job. The dealer West Motor Co was great, I highly recommend them.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:58 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I had to do the rear two on my old 4.7 HO Grand Cherokee. Both snapped at the head. I used a set of Grabits (about $17 for a four size set at Lowes). They backed right out.

Not too bad to get to, easiest to jack it up, remove tire and pop the wheel well guard out the way and it's right there...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 06-08-2015 at 10:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Replacing manifold bolts