4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tailgate bar wiring question-need tech response

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 10:27 PM
JohnVI
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailgate bar wiring question-need tech response

Evening gang
Question. I had a recon scanning led tailgate bar installed at my local Chrysler dealership, I wanted them to do it. They installed it and hard wired it in, everything works but the left turn eye on the entire bar flashes. It still flashes the turn and everything works it just a odd flash of the entire bar but only when left or right signal is on. Does anyone that's a technican know what wire I can ask them to be sure they used or why this would happen

Any help is very much appreciated

Old 06-16-2015, 07:57 AM
JohnVI
Veteran
Default Cambus wire system

So nobody replied so I'm guessing this is an odd one, but I think I know the "why" part and wanted to share. I'm taking it to the dealer this afternoon to prove my hunch, but these trucks from 09+ have the cambus wiring system. If you tap in to say the turn signal, loop in a tailgate bar, it detects the added resistance and could cause issues in he light you wired in. Yeah the dealer should know, but I'm hoping this is the cause..

I remember my old 09 I had a stereo shop tap into one of the positive wires for the DVD headrests that was the main wire harness. I swear, this is true, after he did that, I could park turn my ignition off, hop out of the truck, and it would still run for 1-2 brief seconds....all because he hit the wire bundle instead of the TIPM

Old 06-19-2015, 05:51 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnVI
So nobody replied so I'm guessing this is an odd one, but I think I know the "why" part and wanted to share. I'm taking it to the dealer this afternoon to prove my hunch, but these trucks from 09+ have the cambus wiring system. If you tap in to say the turn signal, loop in a tailgate bar, it detects the added resistance and could cause issues in he light you wired in. Yeah the dealer should know, but I'm hoping this is the cause..

I remember my old 09 I had a stereo shop tap into one of the positive wires for the DVD headrests that was the main wire harness. I swear, this is true, after he did that, I could park turn my ignition off, hop out of the truck, and it would still run for 1-2 brief seconds....all because he hit the wire bundle instead of the TIPM

From what I know, the Canbus has been in the vehicles for awhile now, Ive never heard of issues with to much resistance, usually you get a light out code if there isnt enough.

If it was hardwired, It would have been best/easier to hard wire it to the trailer harness, That doesnt use Canbus as trailers dont.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:34 AM
JohnVI
Veteran

That's what I thought but I think they do now. If you go into the new uconnect stereo there are a bunch of settings for trailer, so my guess is something's changed maybe this year or last. I had it wired directly into the trailer harness and got intermediate blinking. I have a plug end being sent from recon, and going to wire that back on and do a simple plug in. If it works, it is definitely something that was changed with the trailer brake wiring

Old 06-20-2015, 12:01 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnVI
That's what I thought but I think they do now. If you go into the new uconnect stereo there are a bunch of settings for trailer, so my guess is something's changed maybe this year or last. I had it wired directly into the trailer harness and got intermediate blinking. I have a plug end being sent from recon, and going to wire that back on and do a simple plug in. If it works, it is definitely something that was changed with the trailer brake wiring
Mine only has settings for trailer brakes.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:10 PM
JohnVI
Veteran

Figured it out and sharing the info.

For any tailgate bar you CANT HARD WIRE THEM IN FOR THE NEW RAMS. Uconnect directly controls the rear wiring, and splicing into the trailer harnes will flip your light bar out. If you make adjustments in uconnect to your trailer settings; low/High voltage, you will see your light bar flicker from low with none to High with flickering. Here is what I did, finished it this morning, tied up, nice and neat 100%

For the go recon bar, take silicone, and cover the entire inline module with silicone and let it fully cure. This will prevent any corrosion, and while they say it watertight, it's not

Next tie in your single white with your twil light wire per instructions

Hook your red to your trailer bundle hot wire

Fish your plug end and I took wire loom over it so,when plugged in it looks very clean

I had to lower my spare tire to get all my cables nice and neat, covered in loom and wire tied into place

Tested and works again, with no flicker

Going into the wire harness the system will detect added resistance and these trucks use that canbus setup, same goes for trying to tie all cables directly into your taillight.

Just wanted to pass it along, installed and looks pretty nice

Quick Reply: Tailgate bar wiring question-need tech response