4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New truck protection tips

Old 06-16-2015, 03:25 PM
JohnVI
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New truck protection tips

So just giving back some input to the forum.

I batteled a rusted rocker panel issue on my 09, and took two main precautionary measures on my new 2015 2500

1) bought 3M rubberized undercoating, had a reliable and extremely fair body shop put it on a lift, and spray the entire underside with undercoating. They even said, these trucks have a anti corrosive, but that taking an extra step is always good. I had them spray the entire underside

2) rocker panels, I had the take a wax rust preventative they use in this kit that which puts a rod inside the panels after pulling the plugs dodge puts in, and it sprays in a 360degree pattern. They did both sides..

As I had issues, and I want to keep my new 2500 for a while, I took these steps as an additional measure to give me piece of mind..

Old 06-16-2015, 05:14 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best way to keep a truck from rusting - don't wash it in the winter.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:00 PM
JohnVI
Veteran

I have to ask why. Not doubting, just I hear so much of the "wash your vehicle to keep road salt from staying on too long".

Old 06-16-2015, 06:13 PM
dwaldmann
Professional

I decided to try a new type of undercoating on our most recent vehicles - my wife's 2015 Explorer and my 2015 Ram - a mineral oil based product that my brother-in-law has started offering. In our region it's recommended to be reapplied every 12-18 months.

I don't plan to keep my Ram more than 3 years, but I figure that if it still has paint everywhere when I go to sell it, it will be worth more, and - who knows? - I may end up keeping it longer than expected.

I can't remember the name of the product now, but if anyone is interested I can find out.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:37 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by JohnVI
I have to ask why. Not doubting, just I hear so much of the "wash your vehicle to keep road salt from staying on too long".
Because the water just helps keep the rust active where you can't see it. Rustiest trucks I see are the folks who are washing them twice a week all winter.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:49 PM
NV290
All Star

A product called FluidFilm is highly recommended for rust proofing. I bought a case of it as well as a 3' hose with a brass nozzle that sprays in all directions. It can be inserted into body plugs and pulled through while spraying to coat the interiors. The biggest trouble spots are the rear wheel wells and the bottom of the door panels and tailgate. Their are drains in the bottom of all the doors so it's easy to shoot the fluid in. Same with the tailgate. MUCH cheaper to do it yourself then to pay somebody to do it. As for undercoatings? I never bothered as this is my third ram and undercarriage rust was never a problem. It's the body panels on these trucks you need to worry about.

I also agree washing your truck often in the winter is a bad idea. Road salt reacts with moisture. The more you wash your truck the more the salt dissolves and wreaks havoc. And every time it snows and they throw down salt your truck gets more of it when you drive. By waiting till the salt season is over and then doing a thorough washing paying special attention to up in the wheel wells behind the liners. Also, take your tail lights off (simple) and you will have great access to the inside of the bed panels to clean.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:57 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Fresh water mixing with hard salts basically creates salt water that will seep in every nook and cranny. If you are diligent enough to make sure you get everything perfectly clean and allow it to dry properly it's the best thing, but very few will take the time necessary to do so. So most people are better off just leaving it alone until spring...

Old 06-17-2015, 06:42 AM
dwaldmann
Professional

I guess that would reinforce the idea that parking in a heated garage is bad for rust as well, since that would melt any snow/ice.

Our garage isn't "heated", but it usually stays just about freezing or above most of the winter. However, I just can't justify parking outside at below 0 and letting ice/snow pile up on my vehicles when I can drive to work with heat in two minutes and no frost or snow cap.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:55 PM
capsfloyd
Captain

Best thing is move to TEXAS...lol

Old 06-19-2015, 05:42 PM
Reject
Record Breaker

So just giving back some input to the forum.

I batteled a rusted rocker panel issue on my 09, and took two main precautionary measures on my new 2015 2500

1) bought 3M rubberized undercoating, had a reliable and extremely fair body shop put it on a lift, and spray the entire underside with undercoating. They even said, these trucks have a anti corrosive, but that taking an extra step is always good. I had them spray the entire underside

2) rocker panels, I had the take a wax rust preventative they use in this kit that which puts a rod inside the panels after pulling the plugs dodge puts in, and it sprays in a 360degree pattern. They did both sides..

As I had issues, and I want to keep my new 2500 for a while, I took these steps as an additional measure to give me piece of mind..
I just got a 2015 1500, and had the dealer include the rust protection.
They clean the entire truck and undercarriage, Apply a rubberized coating to most of the underbody then applie a oil based coating to the doors, bumpers, and hard to reach areas. The oil type is the best ive seen (I live in Atlantic Canada) The oil creeps into the crevices and cracks to keep water and salt out. The rubberized is only good when its new as no rust or salt have gotten (hopefully) in yet.

Dealer said its good forever, but i dont think so, Oil usually needs to be redone/touched up yearly, and the rubberized checked occasionally for flaking/breaks.

I plan to take great care for rust, My old 2005 Dakota, the Radiator support rusted off, Door rusted, Bumper rusted thru, Box rusted the wheel wells rusted so bad i could see the ground, from inside hte box, and thru the sides.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New truck protection tips