4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Broken Manifold Bolts 3 months outside of 5-Year Warrenty (wife Pissed, please help)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 03:06 PM
xsparta11x
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Manifold Bolts 3 months outside of 5-Year Warrenty (wife Pissed, please help)

So As the Title says, found out I had broken manifold bolts. Not a big deal i thought. I have a 2010 1500 5.7L TRX4 with 56,000 miles on it. I brought it to the dealership and told them that I have a couple broken manifold bolts and told them that this should be covered by the 5-Year\100,000 mile warranty. He agreed and went to look up my VIN. When he came back he said that he had bad news. My warranty was expired as of 3 months ago and that the repair would have to be out of pocket. After throwing a little temper tantrum on the inside, I asked to talk to the Service Manager. The service manager told me that he would be ok with fixing it if I were to get approval from Chrysler. I said ok and left. When I was finally able to get in touch with someone from Chrysler, they wanted nothing to do with it and told me I was "Out of Luck". So now im in the predicament that I have to tell my wife that I have to dump another $700 into this truck that I have already put over $4,000 in "Non warrantied parts" in a truck I use to drive to and from work, and go camping every now and then with. I absolutely love my truck, and have been religious about regular maintenance, but I am about fed up with Chrysler because of their lack of help. I was not aware of the end of the warranty or I would have brought it in for inspection. If anyone from DodgeCares or anyone with experience on what I can do to get help with this, that would be great. Thanks ahead of time.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:46 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

So pull them and replace yourself. I never had the problem on my Ram because I removed them in favor of headers when the truck only had 19,000 miles on it. Re-torque at every other oil change and not a problem in 10 years.

I have done a few for other folks back before my spinal arthritis got bad and I was installing lifts and working on trucks & jeeps on the side. I've replaced a couple for guys who were DF members a few years back. Also had to do the rear two on my '02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 HO engine.

They ain't bad to get to and it's always been the bolt head that basically sheared or snapped off. A bit extractor will take them right out. I always used a set I have in my toolbox called Grabits (set of 3 sizes about $20 at Lowes), and never had a problem. I always used grade 5 bolts to replace as 8s are stronger but tend to break where as 5s will bend some and not snap...

Old 07-10-2015, 07:58 AM
xsparta11x
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats probably what I will end up doing. I already have a set of Easy outs, still new in the case, bought them a couple years ago when they went on sale on a black friday deal at lowes for $5. Do you normally just go to like lowes to get your grade 5 bolts?

Old 07-10-2015, 08:10 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I did when I lived in back woods south Georgia. I'm in Florida now and there is a massive Ace Hardware closer to me than Lowes or Home Depot. Has a bolt section like I've never seen, four full isles! When I had my '04 Ram that went to truck shows, I got all kinds of dress up, stainless bolts there from mushrooms for my grill guard and winch mounts to really cool, knurled Allen bolts for my diff covers. They tend to run higher than Lowes, but have any type of bolt you can imagine.

But yeah, you should be able to match them up at Lowes, Home Depot, Fastenal, Ace, etc...

There is gonna be a heat shield in your way, once you get past that you should be golden. Haven't done a 2010, but I've done as new as an '08 Hemi Ram. Shouldn't be too different...

Quick Reply: Broken Manifold Bolts 3 months outside of 5-Year Warrenty (wife Pissed, please help)