4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

service 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 06:37 PM
mrbrown
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default service 4WD

Been having issues for months with the 4 LOW blinking intermittently and it's finally setting codes now. The first time to dealership there where no codes. The second time the codes read. C140a transfer case motor performance and C1404 transfer case range position sensor circuit low. They said they couldn't duplicate the problem so nothing was done. Some days it doesn't act up but some days it's bad, one day it actually went into 4WD and stayed. I had to switch it to 4WD and back to 2 to get it out. Anyone had this problem before?

Old 09-29-2015, 07:32 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

I'd definitely force the dealers hand on ths one. You are still under warranty. Sometimes you have to be a pain in their rear end. There is so much elecronics involved these days. Maybe try disconnecting the battery for a bit to reset everything.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:00 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

How often does this occur, mrbrown? It may be helpful to leave your vehicle with the dealership for a couple or a few days to give them more time to duplicate the concern. You can also see if they will take a test drive with you, so you can specifically point it out if it does happen.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:43 PM
mrbrown
Amateur

Talked to two dealerships today with no luck. I'm working 7 days a week right now so leaving my truck with them is not an option. The service people couldn't tell me anything. They said it's a misconception that codes reveal the problem. I can agree with that to a certain point but I believe I would start where the codes tell me to. After talking to the dealerships I called Chrysler customer care 1-800-334-9200 and it seems like the dealerships have more power than Chrysler. She wanted them to give me a rental or loaner for a day while they worked on the truck, they wouldn't do it. They also couldn't tell me if the transfer case motor was under warranty, If that is the problem. I thought well maybe I'll just fix it myself so I talked to the parts guy and he gave a quote for the motor. I checked online for the part number he gave me and it's showing that part for the 2500 not the 1500. Starting thinking about the time dodge has cost me over a couple hundred bucks and it pissed me off! Gonna run her till the transmission comes out. Have dodge spend thousands fixing it, then sell it and be done with Dodge. Just hope I don't get killed when it explodes!

Old 09-30-2015, 06:06 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

I hate it when bad dealership experiences turn people away from Dodge altogether. Good luck.

Old 03-22-2020, 01:21 PM
Ryne Miller
Default Transfer case

The 231d hd and the 231d are not the same I have a 99 Dakota with the 231d hd that blew out and bought just a 231d out of a ram and it will not bolt up to the transmission the shaft coming off the transfer case going to the transmission is to long and will not bolt up

Quick Reply: service 4WD