4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sounds like an exhaust leak when I put it into gear until it warms up

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 10:42 PM
jimbradley1970@gmail.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sounds like an exhaust leak when I put it into gear until it warms up

I have a 2011 Ram with 82000 when it is cold and I put it into gear it sounds like an exhaust leak until it warms up. I have taken it to 2 dealer ships and 1 private mechanic and all say they cant hear anything wrong. All of them checked the manifolds and said they were fine. I don't understand how they can't hear this. I was pulling it into the garage and noticed when it's in park or neutral it sounds fine but just sliding it into gear you can hear it kinda of like a clicking or clacking noise just like an exhaust leak as I give it gas it gets a little louder. Once it's warm it's gone. Any ideas my powertrain warranty expires in 2 weeks. 5.7 Hemi

Old 03-31-2016, 11:12 PM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mine does the same. Exhaust bolts either broken or loose. Makes a racket when cold and in gear, completely disappears when warmed up. 2006 5.7 Mega Cab

Old 03-31-2016, 11:18 PM
jimbradley1970@gmail.com

They checked all of the bolts and all were good and manifold show no signs of being broke

Old 04-01-2016, 09:31 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Do you know if the shops that you brought your vehicle to were able to duplicate the noise? I would suggest specifically demonstrating this noise for them.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:42 AM
jimbradley1970@gmail.com

They say any sounds they have heard are normal but when you drive the truck when it is cold it sounds like a diesel. I have had many vehicles and have always taken care of them it gets old when manufacturers don't want to fix issues because it may become a recall. I even paid the last dealer $130 so they would give me the time I deserve. The first dealer I took it to had there tech come out and his exact words were diesels sound like that! Until I showed him the emblem on the side saying 5.7 Hemi then it was well that's still normal

Old 04-01-2016, 01:30 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it doesn't make the noise in park when cold, then it's not the exhaust bolts. Maybe your torque converted is locked up and the engine is lugging and making the noise.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:31 PM
jimbradley1970@gmail.com

So I called the last dealer I took it to and asked about the software update. This is the dealer that charged me $130 and said the manifolds were fine all bolts were fine. The service writer said well we never actually pulled it into our shop and if you want us to check it will be an additional $130 plus the cost of the updates. How did they check the manifolds if they never pulled it into the shop? If anyone from Dodge is reading this you need to check into Cabral Dodge in Manteca Ca. and ask for Kevin the service writer. Oh and another thing they did replace my torque converter twice.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:25 AM
Brummo
Captain

Mine just started doing that same thing this weekend. Has never done it before. Sounds like it is coming from the passenger rear manifold. When warm, no issues.
I have lifetime powertrain, and the recall was done when it came out. Is it still covered due to the same thing happening again, Dodgecares? I would think it would be since there are still trucks having the issue. I only have 58000 on my '09.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:39 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Brummo
Mine just started doing that same thing this weekend. Has never done it before. Sounds like it is coming from the passenger rear manifold. When warm, no issues.
I have lifetime powertrain, and the recall was done when it came out. Is it still covered due to the same thing happening again, Dodgecares? I would think it would be since there are still trucks having the issue. I only have 58000 on my '09.
If you have a lifetime powertrain warranty, anything related to the powertrain should be covered under warranty. To see exactly what is covered under your warranty, please visit http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/warranty/. I recommend establishing a dealer appointment for diagnosis. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks! – Kevin T, Social Connect Team

Old 04-18-2016, 01:11 PM
Brummo
Captain

Thanks for the quick response.
Just called the dealer as well..

Quick Reply: Sounds like an exhaust leak when I put it into gear until it warms up