4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Broken diff 2009 Ram - no parts in stock

Old 07-01-2016, 07:36 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Broken diff 2009 Ram - no parts in stock

Well, my 2009 (109K MILES) 2wd open diff started making noises about 3 weeks ago. Took it to the dealer and they diagnosed a need for a complete rebuild. I serviced it regularly so it wasn't abused and had the recall done about 38k miles ago.

Good news, it's covered under lifetime power-train warranty.
Bad news, parts are on national back order and the repair is going to take close to two weeks.

I am grateful for the warranty work (unless they try a fast one at pick up) but for the life of me, I can't understand the lack of parts. This differential is very common and unless there are many failures going on, why are there no parts.

I could go to a bunch of non OEM places and get parts over the counter but the dealers has to wait 10 days?

Just sharing my frustration. So I, my wife and yellow lab will be piling into my wife's Prius and driving to our mountain cabin for a week while the truck sits at the dealer.

Old 07-02-2016, 05:03 PM
co.45
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many 2009's were recalled several years ago due to the pinion nut not being properly locktited and backing off. My crewcab included. Work took several days even with parts in hand. I was told that they swapped the entire carrier assembly as a unit instead of doing a rebuild of mine. Probably a labor saving policy, or quality control issue. At least it is going to be made good no matter if it was from the recall or from the warrentee. Sorry it is taking so long.

Recall Number 13V038000
Recall Date 02/06/2013
Component POWER TRAINRIVELINEIFFERENTIAL UNIT

Old 07-13-2016, 06:29 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Got my truck back with the rebuilt differential. It took them 2 full weeks for the complete rebuild that also included new axle bearings and seals.

The interesting part of this whole thing is that the service rep told me it took so long because they needed to get a special part.

p/n CBHKM342AA - RETAINER-PINION NUT

I thought this part was only need for the retrofit of the differentials that had a manufacturing issue. Any one have any idea what's going on?

Old 07-14-2016, 10:20 AM
NoMoreGMsForMe
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably covering there *** having learnt from the first issues and not taking any shortcuts on the repairs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Broken diff 2009 Ram - no parts in stock