4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2010 Ram HEMI electronic throttle body cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 08:21 PM
a_gunslinger
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Ram HEMI electronic throttle body cleaning

2010 Ram HEMI 5.7. Stealer wants a bunch of moeny for this. After looking at all the videos seems pretty straight forward. However, one thing Im still concerned about on these drive by wire electronic TBs. Do I have to worry about some of the warnings I see about DONT TOUCH or move the throttle plate butterfly valve on an electronic TB? Something about it messing with the computer? As long as I disconnect the negative battery cable any electrical computer issues dont matter right? Some of the videos also show cleaning the TB while still on the engine. Personally, would rather clean all that gunk off away from the intake. Again, as long as negative battery cable off I can safely remove the electronic TB on a 2010 Ram HEMI?

Any value replacing the IAC while doing a TB clean?

Thanks!

Old 08-06-2016, 01:10 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've done about 3 times and I don't disconnect anything. I make sure the key is not in the ignition. I also just do it in place using TB cleaner and an old toothbrush and a small paint brush. Spray, brush and wipe with a rag and you are good to go. The most important part of the cleaning is to clean the surface where the butterfly meet the TB - top and bottom. This is the place that controls the idle since our trucks don't have a idle air control valve.

When you start it up, be ready for a rough idle for about 10-15 seconds.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:22 PM
a_gunslinger
Rookie

Thanks for the reply! Since its only 4 bolts holding it on would it be a problem to remove it for cleaning? Just to make sure none of the sprayed off goo doesnt go back into the intake?

Old 08-08-2016, 03:47 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think it will be a problem to remove it. I just don't want to do the extra work. It's really a fast job if you leave it on.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:08 PM
a_gunslinger
Rookie

Ok, thanks. That makes sense. Was just a little worried about dropping that crud back into the intake accidentally.

Had a couple people warn me not to mess with the electronic one or move the TB valve while cleaning it. Is it kind of a myth that people worry about moving the butterfly valve and having to reset the computer and all that on an electronic TB? I assume that as long as key not in and negative battery cable off the truck doesnt even know the TB was touched.

Quick Reply: 2010 Ram HEMI electronic throttle body cleaning