4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help!!! Considerable power loss and bad fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 03:24 PM
crazynitro10
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!! Considerable power loss and bad fuel economy

I submitted a post a few weeks ago about the truck bucking and struggling to move. now things got worse. i replaced the throttle body which i thought was the problem. now my truck gets about 5-10 miles per gallon. its lost more power and has developed some kind of ticking noise. i also want to mention that i replaces the spark plugs about a week ago hoping they would help. i was told the plugs were pre-gapped. please helpp

Old 09-02-2016, 10:43 AM
jawsdc
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you disconnect the battery? try that first if not. I would also check the gaps, most of the "pre-gapped" plugs need some slight manipulation.
It doesn't sound like either one of those issues are going to result in your symptomotogy.
Any CEL codes?

Old 09-02-2016, 10:47 AM
crazynitro10

Originally Posted by jawsdc
Did you disconnect the battery? try that first if not. I would also check the gaps, most of the "pre-gapped" plugs need some slight manipulation.
It doesn't sound like either one of those issues are going to result in your symptomotogy.
Any CEL codes?
i did disconnect the battery. i also tried every pcm reset procedure i could find :/ there are no CEL codes :/ but it seems my ABS is working non stop :/ sometimes the brakes pulsate when i hit them slightly and sometimes they dont :/

Old 09-10-2016, 01:09 AM
crazynitro10

I hooked up an obd2 scanner to my truck and analyzed the o2 sensors. The first back seemed to be frantically jumping from .1 to .9. the second bank was more stable. Could this be a spark plug issue or a leaking exhaust manifold. I'll try to take a look at it tomorrow

Old 09-16-2016, 02:05 PM
huntergreen
Professional

even though the plugs were pre gapped, did you check the gap before install? did you use OE plugs?

Old 09-16-2016, 02:49 PM
crazynitro10

Originally Posted by huntergreen
even though the plugs were pre gapped, did you check the gap before install? did you use OE plugs?
Thanks for your reply. I did recheck all the sparkplug gaps. They were all fine and seemed to be firing. They are NGK spark plugs. Im starting to think my exhaust is plugged. I'm taking it to the shop to have the back pressure checked. The engine seems to be running really hard.

Old 09-16-2016, 03:07 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by crazynitro10
Thanks for your reply. I did recheck all the sparkplug gaps. They were all fine and seemed to be firing. They are NGK spark plugs. Im starting to think my exhaust is plugged. I'm taking it to the shop to have the back pressure checked. The engine seems to be running really hard.

Take it somewhere that can diagnose it. Stop wasting money guessing. You are dead in the water if you can't read the codes anyway. It's 2016

Old 09-16-2016, 03:14 PM
crazynitro10

Originally Posted by TNtech
Take it somewhere that can diagnose it. Stop wasting money guessing. You are dead in the water if you can't read the codes anyway. It's 2016
haha I'm taking it to a shop on thursday. i'll let you guys know what happens

Old 10-28-2016, 05:09 PM
gopackgo69
Rookie

Thanks for letting us know what happened.

Old 10-28-2016, 05:36 PM
crazynitro10

Sorry for that. I was hanging some family crises. But I did take it to the shop. Both cats were fine according to the mechanic. It's developed a weird sound though... The sound disappears when the engine warms up. Any ideas what it could be?? Thank you

Quick Reply: Help!!! Considerable power loss and bad fuel economy