4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.7 died warranty denied

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 06:15 PM
Lund
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.7 died warranty denied

On August 10th I was travelling down the Highway 402 from London to Sarnia with my daughter. It was one of the hottest days of the summer. We were maybe 40 kms down the highway when I got a chime on the dash board. I looked at the dash and saw my check engine light on. Then another chime and it said Tranny Hot. I looked at my daughter and said I think something is wrong with the transmission. Then another chime and it said something about throttle body. Then another chime and it said safe mode and the motor shut off.
This whole time I was trying to watch traffic and get off the highway. It was very busy at the time.
We hadn’t travelled a little more than a mile from the first chime until the engine died.
I managed to coast through traffic and get off the highway.
Once we stopped I could smell something burning and i then lifted the hood. There was antifreeze all down the passenger side and smoke coming off the top of the motor. I proceeded back into the truck and turned the key on. The dash chimed and said Engine Hot and gauge was all the way over to red.
I then called road side assistance. They picked me up after about 1.5 hours and towed it to the nearest dealer. We then got a ride back to Sarnia and left the truck there as it was around 5pm and the service was closed.
I called the next day and they said they would look at it in a few days.
Once they looked at it, they said the head blew a gasket and ordered a new head. It took two weeks for the head to arrive as it was back ordered. Now they started to tear the motor down and found that it got so hot it melted the intake manifold. Service manager called and said it would need a new motor now. They contacted Chrysler Canada and put in the request. It took over a week for an answer.
They denied the claim, first stating I drove with check engine light on. I did not. And that would not have matter even if I did. The truck was fine until the last mile. Then they claimed I drove with it in limp mode. I did not, it wouldn’t do 110 kmh in limp mode. Then there final answer was I must have drove it for an extended period of time with it over heating to melt the intake manifold. Warranty denied.
I asked for root cause of failure and more info. I was told they could not provide that and case was closed, and that I would have to pay for the rental for the last month plus the partial tear down labour. Are you kidding me? The dealership where t was towed have tried to get us answers with no success. they have waived the rental as a courtesy as the back order time was not our fault and they fully believed it was a warranty problem. The dealership has tried to support us but are unable to help further.
I made multiple calls to Chrysler Canada and requested information and have had no help. I also left many message which were not returned.
I love this truck, I took very good care of it, even bought extended warranty. Now I have a truck with no motor. It only had 55,000 kms on it. 2014 Ram All oil changes done on time, undercoated and hand washed weekly if not more often.
I did nothing wrong, and can’t even talk to them anymore.
But what can i do now. I am stranded and very frustrated.

Last edited by Lund; 09-22-2016 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:03 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

time for a lawyer

Old 09-23-2016, 04:55 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lund
On August 10th I was travelling down the Highway 402 from London to Sarnia with my daughter. It was one of the hottest days of the summer. We were maybe 40 kms down the highway when I got a chime on the dash board. I looked at the dash and saw my check engine light on. Then another chime and it said Tranny Hot. I looked at my daughter and said I think something is wrong with the transmission. Then another chime and it said something about throttle body. Then another chime and it said safe mode and the motor shut off.
This whole time I was trying to watch traffic and get off the highway. It was very busy at the time.
We hadn’t travelled a little more than a mile from the first chime until the engine died.
I managed to coast through traffic and get off the highway.
Once we stopped I could smell something burning and i then lifted the hood. There was antifreeze all down the passenger side and smoke coming off the top of the motor. I proceeded back into the truck and turned the key on. The dash chimed and said Engine Hot and gauge was all the way over to red.
I then called road side assistance. They picked me up after about 1.5 hours and towed it to the nearest dealer. We then got a ride back to Sarnia and left the truck there as it was around 5pm and the service was closed.
I called the next day and they said they would look at it in a few days.
Once they looked at it, they said the head blew a gasket and ordered a new head. It took two weeks for the head to arrive as it was back ordered. Now they started to tear the motor down and found that it got so hot it melted the intake manifold. Service manager called and said it would need a new motor now. They contacted Chrysler Canada and put in the request. It took over a week for an answer.
They denied the claim, first stating I drove with check engine light on. I did not. And that would not have matter even if I did. The truck was fine until the last mile. Then they claimed I drove with it in limp mode. I did not, it wouldn’t do 110 kmh in limp mode. Then there final answer was I must have drove it for an extended period of time with it over heating to melt the intake manifold. Warranty denied.
I asked for root cause of failure and more info. I was told they could not provide that and case was closed, and that I would have to pay for the rental for the last month plus the partial tear down labour. Are you kidding me? The dealership where t was towed have tried to get us answers with no success. they have waived the rental as a courtesy as the back order time was not our fault and they fully believed it was a warranty problem. The dealership has tried to support us but are unable to help further.
I made multiple calls to Chrysler Canada and requested information and have had no help. I also left many message which were not returned.
I love this truck, I took very good care of it, even bought extended warranty. Now I have a truck with no motor. It only had 55,000 kms on it. 2014 Ram All oil changes done on time, undercoated and hand washed weekly if not more often.
I did nothing wrong, and can’t even talk to them anymore.
But what can i do now. I am stranded and very frustrated.
Hello Lund;3311689,

Can you send me your VIN by PM so I can look into this for you.

Thanks
Lyne

Old 09-29-2016, 06:25 PM
Sniper_Merc
Amateur
Smile

Interested to see how this works out.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:51 PM
Lund

There now saying I drove 82 miles while i was overheating. Not possible. I am going through legal actions now.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:07 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Lund
There now saying I drove 82 miles while i was overheating. Not possible. I am going through legal actions now.
Good. Sounds like someone over there is being a hard *** and decided they could push you around, glad you aren't taking it. Let us know how it goes.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:16 PM
Lund

I am going through camvap, and seeing a lawyer next week.
They apparently disconnected the battery before saving all the info. So they are going on a lot of assumptions. Wish they wouldn't have wiped it out, then I probably woollen be going through all this.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:04 PM
hemi4x

Lawyer up, LEMON LAW...

Old 10-10-2016, 12:22 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

If they lost all their freeze frame data showing you drove 82km after the engine hot set lawyer up. I did not think disconnecting the battery would erased dtc data on new vehicles as its stored in kam.

You can also contact Omvic which may help with vehicle disputes in Ontario.

Quick Reply: 5.7 died warranty denied