4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headlight is out!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 06:43 AM
styngzaii
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight is out!

Hi, after getting this message "Low Beam Headlight Out", i removed the light bulb and checked it, it is working normally, but once plugged in place again it won`t work.
Fuse box is ok, any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails Headlight is out!-light2.jpg  
Old 03-26-2017, 06:06 PM
nobby
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by styngzaii
Hi, after getting this message "Low Beam Headlight Out", i removed the light bulb and checked it, it is working normally, but once plugged in place again it won`t work.
Fuse box is ok, any ideas?
What year?
What side?
Right hand?

Old 03-26-2017, 08:16 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if you can get to the connector with the bulb in it try the following.

Get a needle and a voltmeter. Pick either one of the wires to the connector and stick the needle into the back of the connector so that it makes contact. Turn the lights on and with the voltmeter see if you have voltage from the needle to a ground. If you have voltage and the light is off, you have a wire harness issue. Try this on both wires and see if you can isolate the problem wire.

Since the bulb basically conducts current from the positive side to ground, if you are not getting voltage on either pin, then you wiring harness problem is with the positive side. If the ground side is an open, the bulb will not come on but you will see voltage on the ground side when the voltmeter touches ground.

It's hard to explain, but this way you are troubleshooting the issue with the bulb connected. This is a trick I have used in my years testing electrical problems.