4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

When I stop the oil light comes on and I can't drive forward!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 10:31 PM
Horsehess
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When I stop the oil light comes on and I can't drive forward!!!

My 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 had done this twice since I got it almost a month ago! First time I was at a stop sign going down a slight hill and when I stopped I heard a little beep and the oil light showed up on my dash... I was in a panic because people where waiting for me to go... I went to press on the gas and it wouldn't go forward like the truck was off(but it wasn't) and it didn't rev or anything ... I then had to put it in park and turn the truck off and back on again... then it was fine! No light and it went on like nothing happened! Brought it back to the dealership and explained what happened and they couldn't re create it and said my oil was fine!
Tonight driving home to stop in my driveway (not on a hill) I stopped on the road to wait for a car to drive by and there goes the beep... and the oil light came onto the dash and I couldn't drive forward. Put the thing in park and put it back into drive and couldn't press down on the gas really... then turned it off and back on and again it was fine!

Has anyone experienced this? It's so bizzar and sounds like something is up with a sensor... it's only happens twice in the course of a month but it's super dangerous to make a stop and then I just can't move...

Any ideas or thoughts? Freaking out a bit... I attached a photo of what was on the dash at the time!

Attached Thumbnails When I stop the oil light comes on and I can't drive  forward!!!-img_2199.jpg  
Old 03-29-2017, 10:44 AM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

your picture shows 0 RPM, the truck is off so the oil pressure will be zero by default. My guess is that something is causing the truck to shut off and the oil pressure is fine.

edit: I find it interesting that it only happens when you are stopped. I would think that if the sender was flaky, it would also happen when moving. What kind of readings are you getting on the EVIC

Last edited by Pedro Dog; 03-29-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:57 PM
Horsehess

I brought it back to the dealership and they said it sounds like a sensor for my oil pressure! Last time it happened there was no error messages or anything. It's so bizzar as everything is fine and I just stop to stop at a stop sign and next thing you know I can't go anywhere! I drive it Everyday and I have tried to replicate it but it jus happens at random.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:25 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you need to monitor your oil pressure at idle and the oil hot. I'm assuming you have a hemi and an EVIC. My 2009 with a hemi pressure at idle is 23psi and 48-50 psi at highways speed.

If your oil pressure is in the single digits at idle, then you may have worn out bearings. If it is normally up higher then suddenly drops to 0, then it's probably the sender unit. Good luck

Old 03-29-2017, 10:14 PM
Horsehess

Thanks everyone! Brought the truck in today and the dealership was amazing... they replaced the sensor... some valve I think and one other thing. They figured one of those would be the contributor to why it's happening so they did each one... and charged me nothing. Only way I'll know if it works is to wait and see!

Old 03-31-2017, 01:49 PM
capsfloyd
Captain

Great to hear