2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Kickdown Cable adjustment

Old 07-24-2006, 02:48 PM
BradBeyer
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kickdown Cable adjustment

I have a question about the kickdown cable. When on the TB should there be any slack or should the cable be tight and when you step on the gas that it should get tighter?

Specs:
I have a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500, 2wd, 5.2L. I have a 3 in. spindle lift and 295/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers. I am stock besides a K & N drop in, headers, 180 thermostat, and Single in/Dual out Flowmaster 40 series exhaust.

Thanks
Brad

Old 07-24-2006, 03:36 PM
bamory
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Kickdown Cable adjustment

Maybe this can help you......................

TV Cable Adjustments (V6/V8 Magnum Engines)
** Does not apply to the 4.7L Engine as it is electronically controlled **

GENERAL INFORMATION
The transmission throttle valve is operated by the valve body throttle lever. The throttle lever is actuated by a cable connected to the engine throttle body lever. A lock button at the engine end of the cable provides for cable adjustment.

A correctly adjusted throttle valve cable, will cause the throttle lever on the transmission to move simultaneously with the throttle body lever from the idle position. Proper adjustment allows simultaneous movement without causing the transmission throttle lever to move ahead of, or lag behind the throttle body lever.

CHECK

Turn ignition key to OFF position.
Remove air cleaner.
Verify that throttle body lever is at curb idle position. Then verify that transmission throttle lever is also at idle (full forward) position.
Slide cable off attachment stud on throttle body lever.
Compare position of cable end to attachment stud on throttle body lever:
Cable end and attachment stud should be aligned (or centered on one another) to within 1 mm (0.039 inch) in either direction.
If cable end and attachment stud are misaligned (off center), cable will have to be adjusted as described in following procedure.
Reconnect cable end to attachment stud. Then with aid of a helper, observe movement of transmission throttle lever and lever on throttle body.
If both levers move simultaneously from idle to half-throttle and back to idle position, adjustment is correct.
If transmission throttle lever moves ahead of, or lags behind throttle body lever, cable adjustment will be necessary. Or, if throttle body lever prevents transmission lever from returning to closed position, cable adjustment will be necessary.
PROCEDURE

Turn ignition switch to OFF position and shift into Park.
Remove air cleaner.
Disconnect cable end from attachment stud on throttle body.
Verify that transmission throttle lever is in idle (full forward) position. Then be sure lever on throttle body is at curb idle position.
Insert a small screwdriver under edge of retaining clip and remove retaining clip.
Center cable end on attachment stud to within 1 mm (0.039 inch) and release cable button.
Install retaining clip onto cable: housing.
Check cable adjustment. Be sure transmission throttle lever and lever on throttle body move simultaneously and as described in cable adjustment checking procedure.

Old 07-24-2006, 03:59 PM
BradBeyer
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it did thank you so much bamory

Brad

Old 07-24-2006, 05:19 PM
bamory
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post