Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

Cannot get out of park.

Old 07-24-2006, 06:18 PM
jorgesanchz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cannot get out of park.

OK... first post... my wife got a caliber last week. She has found that when she parks on a slight incline, she cannot get the car out of park. Called the dealer and they said that she had to push hard on the brake. She put the seat as close as possible and practically stood on the brake, didn't work for her. Some other guy sat in the car and it worked fine for him. This happened 3 times her first day of driving the car. She's really tiny, 100lbs 5'2". Anyone have any ideas?

Old 07-24-2006, 10:23 PM
04StratusR/T
Veteran
Default RE: Cannot get out of park.

Ummm.....don't park on an incline?

Old 07-24-2006, 11:58 PM
bigtsr
Captain

ORIGINAL: jorgesanchz

OK... first post... my wife got a caliber last week. She has found that when she parks on a slight incline, she cannot get the car out of park. Called the dealer and they said that she had to push hard on the brake. She put the seat as close as possible and practically stood on the brake, didn't work for her. Some other guy sat in the car and it worked fine for him. This happened 3 times her first day of driving the car. She's really tiny, 100lbs 5'2". Anyone have any ideas?
If you have owned a car with normal automatic transmission you can do this same thing parking on an incline,
because you are letting the car weight rest against the PARKING PAWL.
Try first shifting to neutral then set the parking BRAKE,then put in park and turn off.
Good luck!!!!

Old 07-25-2006, 12:20 AM
HICALIBER

I've read in my owners manual that there's a button under a little cover on the side of the shift lever to over ride the 'must press brake to shift out of park' feature for emergencies. Try that if you're stuck.

Old 07-25-2006, 02:35 AM
Spec-V
Rookie

The best thing you can do is set the parking brake before you put the car in park on an incline.

Old 07-25-2006, 03:23 AM
jorgesanchz

Thanks guys, I showed her the release today... The problem is that her work has hills so she is constantly parking uphill. I'll see if the parking brake will help her.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:25 AM
bigtsr
Captain

ORIGINAL: HICALIBER

I've read in my owners manual that there's a button under a little cover on the side of the shift lever to over ride the 'must press brake to shift out of park' feature for emergencies. Try that if you're stuck.
There was a previous post on another forum regarding the little lever right hand side trans bezel,
the fellow who posted it had a external electrical connect for seadoo trailer and backed trailer
down ramp to launch shorted out the connection in the water and blew fuse in brake circuit,
using the little bypass lever was the only way to get out of park.

Old 07-25-2006, 03:54 PM
TUNDRA_schumacher
Captain

Very odd. Wonder if this can be replicated on any hill. One of you guys go try it, and report back

Old 07-26-2006, 02:20 AM
RTWarrior

I have a bad habit off shutting off my Caliber in drive. I use autostick most the time so I'm manually shifting and the fact most my cars have been manual trannies. I keep thinking it's going to get stuck in park everytime I realize I did this and have to put it in park to get the key out. So far so good but I did find where that switch is just in case!

Old 08-27-2006, 12:37 AM
TUNDRA_schumacher
Captain

I've stickied this so when mine won't come out of park it will be easy to find [8D]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cannot get out of park.