1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

98 Durango Starter Messed up?

Old 07-27-2006, 07:30 PM
bderiso
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Durango Starter Messed up?

When I turn the key in the ignition, the radio and all other electronics will turn on, but when i try to start it, i just get a repeated, fast clicking sound, "Clkrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..." and the engine doesn't turn at all. I've talked to a few people and we all seem to agree is probably my starter and I should replace it with a rebuilt one.

Since my more knowlegable friends are out of town and I need to handle this ASAP, I was hoping someone on here can help me locate the starter and give some tips on removing and replacing it. I've seen the other post on here detailing actually getting it out of the assembly, but that doesn't really help me find or disc-connect it : )

Is it the silver device near the vehicle bottom under the hood thats bolted to what I guess is the under-carriage or drive train?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks : )

Old 07-27-2006, 08:22 PM
89Daytona
Veteran
Default RE: 98 Durango Starter Messed up?

It could also be a bad battery (or battery connection), when the voltage gets too low the starter won't be able to kick all the way on but all the accessories will still work fine. If you have a voltmeter you should check what you have at the battery.

Old 07-27-2006, 10:30 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go Get a Chiltons or Haynes manual it is the best $20.00 you'll ever spend on your truck but I would imagine it is under the truck toward the rear of the engine like most vehicles. Just disconnect the negative battery cable and unbolt it when you get the last bolt out make sure not to let it drop it is pretty heavy for it's size and you dont want it to yank out the wires connected to it if it drops. Disconnect the wire and install it in reverse order. Sorry I'm at work so I can't check my haynes for you on the specifics but it shouldn't be very difficult.
*EDIT*
Oh and while you're in there make sure that the flywheel is in good condition. Just visually inspect the teeth for wear or chips.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:45 AM
bderiso

If its a bad battery will jumping work? because I had my friend stop by and try to jump me with no success.

I tried getting under there and unscrewing some of the bolts, but damned if i couldn't even get in a good position toi try, needless to say i didn't even get any bolts off. i probably need access to some better wrenchs though, i'll i had was a stupid little adjustable one, no ratchets or anything. Its a very tight fit, but i know it must be possible.

I've been meaning to get a haynes manual for a while now actually.

Old 07-28-2006, 01:02 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest that you go get a cheapo 150-180 piece tool set from autozone. Those sets will have mostly everything you will ever need for simple repairs. The battery connections could be the problem or starter solenoid among other things and now that I think about it I had the same exact problem. My + terminal was very corroded as a quick fix while I was out I pulled the cable off and poured a pepsi (Coke is better from what I hear) on the cable and terminal to eat the corrosion off. Try that and then connect it back up and see if it starts up. Also you can go a better route and get a wire brush or sandpaper and get all of the corrosion off then hook it up and cover your terminals in axle grease to prevent future corrosion. If anything looks bad as far as grammatical errors oh well I'm not going to proofread this .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 Durango Starter Messed up?