1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

How-to: Remote key fob programming

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 09:54 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How-to: Remote key fob programming

Here is a quick HowTo on programming your own keyless entry:

1) Turn ignition to OFF.
2) Locate the Data Link Connector, its a black 16 pin connecter that is under the driver's side dash, right where your right knee would be. You have to look up into the dash from below to see it.
3) Ground pin 1 of the Data Link Connector by taking a wire or paper clip and running it from pin 1 to pin 4. Pin 4 is ground so you can just short pin 1 to 4 and it will be grounded. Grounding pin 1 tells the system you are ready to reprogram it.
4) Close all of your doors.
5) Turn the key to ACC then back off. The power door locks will lock/unlock. This is the signal that the system is ready for reprogramming.
6) Push a button on your key fob, doesn't matter which button.
7) If you have 2 key fobs, then press a button on the 2nd fob within 1 minute of pressing a button on the 1st fob. Both must be programmed at the same time. If you only have 1 fob then press a button 2 more times to signal that you only have one.
8) The doors will lock/unlock to signal the codes were received.
9) Remove the jumper wire from the data connector.
This is the same process that I use/used to reprogram my stock key fob. It's word for word on how to do this on your Avenger/Sebring. Since it's not in my own words I used quotes and it was written (or copied) by several folks with either 2G Eclipses/Talons or Avenger/Sebrings, I give those folks kudos...you know who you are.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:52 AM
Mavman
Professional

anyone know which pin is 1 and which is 4???

Old 01-16-2009, 02:48 PM
Mavman
Professional
Default ok gonna complete this........

I know its horrible huh....:P

anyways, the way the pin layout is, is that pin 1 is on the top closest to the passenger side marked in blue, and pin 4 is marked in red. If you get under there you can see that only some holes have metal while others dont.

If the picture doesn't help then the top is widest and pin 1 is on top closest to passenger and pin 4 is 3 over from pin 1 on the top. Hope this helps. took me about 20 mins to figure it all out.

Last edited by Mavman; 02-02-2009 at 05:00 PM. Reason: trying to make colors more readable
Old 01-30-2009, 07:42 PM
ceandra

Hello:

I have a 1997 Sebring convertible, and need to program my remotes. I have seen this instruction before. However, when I look at my data connector (on left side, just under dash, near knee), I see that the long edge has no pin in either end (pin 1 and pin 8), so I cannot ground pin 1.

Is there somewhere else that I can get to this line, perhaps at the under-hood computer? I don't understand why there would be no pin at this location, but....

Thanks
Chuck

Old 01-30-2009, 08:29 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The convertible is different , I'd try a sebring convertible specific site ...

Old 02-09-2009, 08:43 AM
romeo21
Professional

does it matter what kind of remote it is cuz i found an old toyota remote and was wandering if that will work

Old 02-09-2009, 08:49 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YES the type matters it has to be a Dodge Avenger one ... The manufactures use different frequency/codings to prevent interference

Old 05-21-2009, 05:55 PM
J4Y

Thanks Silver for the info. I just snagged me an old avenger remote from ebay for 7 bucks (shipping and all), just now finished programming it and it worked like a charm. Saved me lots o money opposed to the dealership doing it.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:34 PM
KillboyPowerhead

I recently tried programming a remote using the instructions posted by silvercoupe, however, I could not get the doors to lock after turning the key to ACC and then back to OFF.

Is there a limit to the number of remotes that can be programmed for one car, and is there a way to delete these remotes from the car's memory? Or could there be a different problem?

The remote I'm trying to program is an original Avenger one as far as I know.

P.S. Does anyone know what lights should light up in the instrument cluster of a 97 Avenger ES? The ones of mine that light up are: seatbelts, SRS, E-brake, Battery, Doors and Cruise. I have a feeling that some (check engine...) may be burned out.

Thanks.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Killa200
Rookie

check engine should come on and go off when you first turn on the car.

Quick Reply: How-to: Remote key fob programming