3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

dodge ram steering wheel removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 03:28 PM
360rango
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dodge ram steering wheel removal

Hey I have a 2004 Dodge ram 3500. I was stress out with the crap I have had to deal with on the truck and finally I got mad yesturday at the truck for being such a piece of crap and I punch the steering wheel 3 times and when I got in it today I realized somethings broke. I can now jiggle the steering wheel up and down and side to side but the column doesn't move. So I am guessing I broke the steering wheel and it isn't cool because right now I have the absolute worst power steering. I feel right now that I am going to break the steering wheel or what ever is broken off when the power steering pump gets hot and doesn't work worth a flip. I parked the truck so I am stranded at home and I was wondering if anyone knew how to remove the factory steering wheel so I can see whats busted. My steering wheel does have the radio controls and cruise control on it and an airbag which I have disconnected

Old 08-18-2006, 08:05 PM
dodgedlr
Veteran
Default RE: dodge ram steering wheel removal

Well first of all, I would like to point out that a pickup isn't going to "learn its lesson" by you beating on it.
But I am guessing you figured that out.

1. Disconnect airbag - gold connectors on steering column, sounds like you got that under control.
2. screws on back side of steering wheel to remove airbag. after removing unplug another gold connector on back side of airbag.
3. remove large (21mm?) nut in center of wheel.
4. remove steering wheel.. you WILL need a puller.
5. unplug wires running to audio controls and cruise control.
6. by now you should have found your broken parts.

Old 08-20-2006, 09:34 AM
360rango
Rookie

awsome thanks dude. No I wasn't having such a great day or week for that matter, and I was fed up with some of the crap I was having to put up with the truck. I paid 29K for it and I have had to put up with a messed up transmission, no power steering or brakes (hydro boost), cruise control with a mind of its on (dealer can't fix), alot of my bosses lip over the truck, alot of lip from my apartment complex management office (they should try driving a big truck with no frikin power steering and a big diesel around some 90 and 180 degree turns then try to parkit in a space when you cant manuever it), ticket when the hydro boost immediately after to crap and I found out it did the hard way, and ontop of most of these problems in one week my mom calls my friends and boss and raise heck for me to have to put up with because she is off my brothers medication. Its alot to have to put up with in one week but it happened.

Old 08-20-2006, 09:35 AM
360rango
Rookie

but none the less i appreciate the help

Quick Reply: dodge ram steering wheel removal