Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Anti-freeze

Old 08-29-2006, 01:46 PM
gametrail
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti-freeze

What is the best anti-freeze for my 06 cummings? For some reason it needs some, and was alittle about norm. on the temp.

Old 08-29-2006, 02:35 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Anti-freeze

anything will work, theres no need to add additives to these engines since they are not wet sleaved.

I actualy cought mine dripping from where the resivoir hooks up to the radiator itself under the cap. put a ziptie nice and tight and that fixed that problem. I just dumped some water in the reserve tank and went on my way.

Old 08-29-2006, 05:36 PM
gametrail

Thanks again Drew. Then any of the pink will work.

Old 08-29-2006, 06:00 PM
Tree
Rookie

If you are going to change it out. I'd go with straight NPG. Amsoil or Evans Cooling. Go to Evans website for great details about NPG. The price is coming down to affordable levels.

Just my $.02

Later,

Steve

Old 08-29-2006, 07:31 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Drew,

I read in my06 owners manual to only use HOAT. Also said not to use plain water, only Distilled or Deionized water. If a non-Hoat is used in and emergency it should be replaced with specified coolant ASAP. And the good part " Mixing of coolants other then specified engine coolant, may result in engine damage" etc.[]

Old 08-29-2006, 07:44 PM
gametrail

OK. Thanks Tree and DBLR for your help. The Evans/ Amsoil sounded good [ I run amsoil oil now] But now I don,t Know. What is the diff. in HOAT [ what is HOAT].

Old 08-29-2006, 07:55 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HOAT stands for Hybrid Organic Acid Technology. it is just a different type of antifreeze as compared to NOAT, which is Nitritated. HOAT's inhibitor package is slightly different from traditional high-silicated green coolant. It's supposed to be better basicaly.

I just pulled this off another web site. . .
What’s a HOAT? Hybrid OAT in this case means it has a traditional Ethylene Glycol-base, with a single OAT inhibitor and is moderately silicated. The version now being installed by DC, and tested by Ford, is based on the German BASF product, Glysantin G 05. It has been used in extensively in European Mercedes Benz and other manufacturer’s vehicles since the late 1980’s. New users expect that it will provide the 5-year, 100K miles coverage they desire. G 05 proponents believe that its moderate dose of silicates provide greater aluminum protection than a straight OAT while still being water pump friendly.
right now only DC uses it.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:19 AM
gametrail

I got Prestone 50/50 in a yellow jug. It said you can mix with any color antifreeze, and not to add water.

Old 09-02-2006, 02:10 AM
jakebrake
Champion

Prestone just derates any coolant you got to prestone. In the older cummins, you couldn't run elc (hoat) coolant. It would cause gasket failer because it didn't have silicates. If it says to put the elc in, I would recommend CAT coolant (hoat). It comes premixed with distilled water. Great stuff, also last up to 6years where as most green coolant and almost any automotive elc (hoat) only lasts 2 years. In my 02 I run complete coolant, which is the green stuff that is good for 6 year with DCA in it (coolant is dyed blue). DCA helps keep scale down on the engine so if your cheap, you can use tap water as long as you maintain the DCA level.

Old 09-02-2006, 09:07 PM
Ralph78
Professional

[quote]ORIGINAL: jakebrake

In the older cummins, you couldn't run elc (hoat) coolant. It would cause gasket failer because it didn't have silicates.

I have an early 98 12 Valve I bought in June, the current coolant is "Green", what should I be running, the owners manual just says run "Ethylene Glycol" based coolant?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anti-freeze