1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Brake Light Switch

Old 09-11-2006, 08:47 PM
wpoteat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Light Switch

I've been told my brake light switch is bad, the brake lights don't work. Fuse is good, tailights work, emergency lights work, reverse lights work. Does anyone know how to change the brake light switch? I'd love to do this myself and not take it to the dealer.

Thanks for any help
Way

Old 09-12-2006, 12:43 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Brake Light Switch

Just a thought you might want to consider if you haven't already before diving into more expensive parts but maybe it is just the bulbs? That would be a lot cheaper to take care of. The bulbs have 2 filaments so you can still have tails but not brakes if you catch my drift. They can and will go out together at times.

Old 09-12-2006, 01:09 PM
wpoteat

Thanks, I didn't know that. I'll give it a try and let you know if it works I really wish I had found this forum many years ago, we bought our Durango new in 98 and have had it in the shop a lot. We've discussed getting rid of it, you know with the gas prices and there always seems to be something wrong with it. But, it's paid for and that's a good thing

Again, thanks
Way

Old 09-12-2006, 08:20 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tranny problems huh? Me too LOL. At least the engine is solid though.

Old 09-16-2006, 05:19 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The switch comes right out. Just hold and twist the connection. It should be the brake switch. Get under the drivers side and look up under the dash. Follow the brake peddle up and you will find the switch. I think it turns counter clock ways to unlock (¼ turn only). Get the replacement first so you can see how it works. (If you have emergency lights) then your bulbs are fine. You can test the switch first before any steps to make sure it is bad. Simply put a test light on the out coming wire that is not hot and depress the brake lever. If the light doesn't come on then test the other side to make sure you got the right wire. It should be hot. If not hot it is your incoming power supply. If the test light does not light up when you transfer to the other side and the brake lever is pressed then it is your switch.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:03 PM
Pysiek
Professional

Have u checked the fuse under the hood? The one from brake switch?

Old 08-19-2011, 02:37 PM
vinnieo53

98 Durango - brake lights don't work. I checked all the fuses both inside and under the hood, all are good. I changed all the bulbs, all are good. Hazard lights work, blinkers work, back up lights work. I also changed the brake light switch twice, thinking I had gotten a bad switch, did all this and still NO BRAKE LIGHTS!!!!!!!!????????

Old 08-21-2011, 10:20 AM
Nick Bailey
Talking 1 Brake Light Wont Work

I have a similiar problem, however it is only 1 brake light not working. All other lights work fine including the tail light which is on the same bulb.

I have swapped the bulb & fitting to the opposite side and it works fine!

I have checked the fuse and it is fine!

Any suggestions, where next?????

Old 08-21-2011, 03:17 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

check all the contacts in the socket that is not working and make sure they are touching adequatly (and pushing with enough force to maintain contact) you may need to bend the contacts out a little bit to re-connect the bulb properly

Old 08-21-2011, 04:32 PM
Mechaniczman
Rookie

My right taillight was not working and the bulb was fine. I had someone hold the brake pedal down while i fittled with the plug to the back of the taillight and it worked, it has a short somewere in the plug, if i push it to the right it works so i electrical taped it to pass inspection.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Light Switch