1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

shutter in rear end...diff. clutches?

Old 09-21-2004, 07:20 PM
Matt565
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shutter in rear end...diff. clutches?

Hey,
I have a 98 Durango SLT+ 4x4 with the 5.9. When I accelerate and turn at the same time, the rear end shutters and vibrates. Does that mean that the clutches in the anti-spin diff. are bad? If so, what does it take to replace them? Is it something that I could do myself? I just replaced lower ball joints and I try to do most of the work on my car myself.

Matt

Old 09-12-2006, 01:08 AM
zrad
Default RE: shutter in rear end...diff. clutches?

I am having the same problem with my 99 D doing the same thing. Its getting worse by the day. I would like to know what this is. I too do most of my own mechanical. I hope it wont cost too much. Let me know what you figure out and I will do the same. Thx

Old 09-12-2006, 01:25 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have either of you recently changed the fluid in the rear diff? If so, sound to me like chatter from NOT putting the little $9 bottle of friction modifer back in there with the diff lube. Other than that, the LSD coming apart could be the culprit.

IndyDurango

Old 09-12-2006, 02:01 AM
zrad

I had the fluid Changed 5k ago. They added the "lil bottle." I've only owned it for 7k. If I turn and gas it, it is really bad. If I accelerate very slowly it doesnt do it. When it started doing it would only chatter on tight turns. Now the littlest turn and even moderate acceleration will create the noise. Thx

Old 09-12-2006, 11:42 AM
Kensai
Champion

Maybe you should check the front drivetrain to make sure it is not engaged? Sounds like the front driveline is locked? when you gas it and making a turn, do you feel any hard feedback coming from the steering wheel like it wants to pull loose from you?.

Old 09-13-2006, 12:15 AM
zrad

I'm sure this is a rear diff noise and vibration. I have no LSD experience or any rear end experience for that matter. Do the clymer or haynes manuals cover diff repair?

Old 09-14-2006, 10:19 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Could also be a bad rear wheel bearing. I had a friend put one more bottle of antifriction in his rear end and it took the vibrations away. But what it sounds like to me your rear end is going out.

Old 09-15-2006, 01:16 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

ORIGINAL: hydrashocker

Could also be a bad rear wheel bearing. I had a friend put one more bottle of antifriction in his rear end and it took the vibrations away. But what it sounds like to me your rear end is going out.
Like I said, a falling apart LSD... HOWEVER... a true diff failure will whine when failing all the time, not just chatter when turning.

You can let a diff failure go for a long while. A friend once said, "A diff is like a women. She will whine and whine a long time before she ever leaves you." On that... I'd say you have quite a while. And if it's broke/braking, there is little that you can do other than replace it so drive away.

If however it is just the chatter... like I mentioned in the first reply, add a $9 bottle of Mopar diff limited slip additive/friction modifer. It's a cheap fix if it works out.

IndyD

Old 09-16-2006, 04:30 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: IndyDurango

ORIGINAL: hydrashocker

Like I said, a falling apart LSD... HOWEVER... a true diff failure will whine when failing all the time, not just chatter when turning.

You can let a diff failure go for a long while. A friend once said, "A diff is like a women. She will whine and whine a long time before she ever leaves you." On that... I'd say you have quite a while. And if it's broke/braking, there is little that you can do other than replace it so drive away.

If however it is just the chatter... like I mentioned in the first reply, add a $9 bottle of Mopar diff limited slip additive/friction modifer. It's a cheap fix if it works out.

IndyD
Not always will it whine! I had one go out and it never did anything to give me warning in any way[:'(] The thing I was tring to say was: My friend put an extra bottle of additive in and it fixed his problem. Not to say it will fix his. But anyway, it could be a number of problems, but try that first it is only $9 bucks.[&:]

Old 11-11-2006, 11:33 PM
oatsmetzger

I have a 2000 w/ 80,000 miles that is starting to show similar signs - My mechanic said when he pulled the cover off there was excessive metal and signs the clutches needed replaced - He ordered a kit whcih includes the ring, clutches, and bearings - (he said he thought it was less the $200) - We are currently waiting for those parts to be delivered

It's hard for me to believe all this work is needed (I just put 250 miles on it today!) - The ONLY sign something is nto right is a little crunch or hard mess in tight turingin radius (think parking situations) -

Any comments?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: shutter in rear end...diff. clutches?