2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Serious Electrical Problems when it rains

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 09:20 PM
mendreza72
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious Electrical Problems when it rains

We have a 2004 Durango, this past few months have been hell. It started in June, after a bad rain storm, the engine light came on. On my way to the store, the windshield wipers quit working and the radio cut off. A week later, we had another bad storm and I went to go visit with my in-laws. After about 45 minutes, my headlights were on and the windshield wipers were going. I went to go check what was wrong, when I got in the vehicle, all the instrument panel lights were on. I started it, and the lights were still on. When I turned the engine off and took the key out of the ignition, the vehicle was STILL running. It ran for about 40 minutes before finally shutting itself off. I took it into the dealership and they said there was a short in the wiring. So they replaced it with a new wire harness, and then they said when they replaced the wire harness, it messed up the computer module. The dealership had my vehicle for 11 days and finally returned it to me claiming that it's fixed. (My husband is in Iraq while this is happening, by the way!) So everything seems fine...UNTIL it rains again and the engine light comes on. My husband is back now and he has experienced the hell I've been going through with this vehicle. We took it back to the dealership while it was raining to show them that something isn't right. They said, they don't know what to do and that we should take it into a window shop to see if one of the windows has a leak and water is shorting out the fuses or wiring. Has anyone else had this problem with their Durango? And does anyone have any advice as to what we should do?

Quick Reply: Serious Electrical Problems when it rains