Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

R/T stalling on fuel fill - HELP!

Old 09-26-2006, 06:37 PM
michigan magnum
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R/T stalling on fuel fill - HELP!

Hello,

New to the forum and I come with a problem. My car is a 05 Magnum RT AWD. About 40K miles. Every time I fill up the gas tank, I get a stalling condition for about 10 miles. then it clears up and runs fine for the rest of the tank. Took it to the dealer, they can't find out what is wrong. No trouble codes are set. After much review, they deteremined that the fuel tank evap system is sucking fuel out of the tank when full and passing it up past the cannister to the throttle body. But we can't determine why this is happening. Even the DCX Star center is stumped.

Looked back through the posts and found one instance in jan 06 of someone else having the same problem - but no detail on what the fix was. Tried to e-mail the poster - bounced.

Any ideas? Any chance there is a Dodge tech rep online?

Old 09-26-2006, 07:00 PM
HemiNuts
Professional
Default RE: R/T stalling on fuel fill - HELP!

Have you tried replacing your fuel cap? Sounds like vapor lock. Buicks are bad about this problem. I have had to replace the caps on two of my Buicks. Try replacing the cap first. I have a locked cap from Dodge, not the original.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:45 PM
strippedhemi
Veteran

Mine recently started stalling right after every fillup. Took dealer 2 times to find the problem. The check valve (roll-over valve) inside the gas tank wouldnt seal and let fuel run up to the engine purge valve while you filled it. Untill it burned up all the gas in the line, it would stall at every stop, and spit and sputter going down the road. After that it would run fine again. Usually took mine like 10 mins to go back to normal. The solution was replacing the tank. Free under warranty and did it in a day. Took 4 days to get the tank. Solved the problem immediately. The valve is molded into the tank, no service possible. If you need to give your dealer some more info, call Spitzer Dodge, in Whitehall, Ohio and ask for Kevin (service manager). Took them hours to diagnose it.

Tip to avoid it happening again: stop when nozzle shuts off...dont try to round off the amount. Overfilling helped cause the problem.

Old 09-27-2006, 09:57 AM
michigan magnum

Thanks for the info. It sounds like that is the answer to the problem. I will forwqrd the info to the dealer and see what happens. As the car has 40K on it, I'm not sure that it will be covered under warranty though. And I think the tank is about $800.

I'll pass on the info and report back.

Thanks again!

Old 09-27-2006, 04:32 PM
strippedhemi
Veteran

If you have to pay and need some time, just fill up maybe about 3/4 full each time with the pump not running full blast. Leave off the cap for a few minutes to let pressure out. I noticed with mine all the time it was filling I could hear a prominent hiss of air being forced out (same force pushing it up lines to engine). That got me by for a few weeks without the symtoms. Good luck.

Old 09-27-2006, 09:20 PM
65standard
All Star

this is common when overfilling the tank. do not top off the tank.

Old 09-29-2006, 12:43 PM
michigan magnum

We never top off. We just let the pump shut off automatically. And it happens regardless of which gas station. If you stop the fill short of a full tank, the problem does not occur.

The dealer is still struggling to get DCX engineering involved and has not yet moved to change out the gas tank. Hopefully, they can get some consensus and maybe get this covered under a good will warranty.

FYI - I believe current Dodge trucks have a recall or TSB active for the same roll over valve problem. And 1996 minivans were recalled for the same problem.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:15 PM
trpintherift

Hey all I'm new here. I have a 2005 Dodge Caravan SE. Having the same problem. Sputtering starts shortly after fill up regardless of brand. Usually clears within about 10 seconds. Stalling happens if I do not give it a bit of a rev. I thought the new gas was kicking up junk but that didn't seam right. I'll try stopping before full.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R/T stalling on fuel fill - HELP!