Stalling or no start NO BUS on odometer

Old 07-20-2004, 01:33 AM
JCswm
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling or no start NO BUS on odometer

Durango only
This one Kicked my *** the first time I got one

The crankshaft sensor shorts out internally and grounds the 5V wire the modiules use to "talk" to each other.
That's all, If you have a scan tool you think lightning hit your car 'cause you can't get any info from any module
climb under the passenger side of your truck with a new crank sensor and a 10mm ..... anything, one easy bolt holds it in!

Old 07-20-2004, 01:40 AM
ricocivi
Default RE: Stalling or no start NO BUS on odometer

John - thanks - you just saved me a bundle on trying to find a new PCM or paying $700+ for an instrument cluster (the local mechanic I use had the exact issue you said - no commo using the scanner & called a buddy at Dodge who said it was a circuit board on the instrument cluster that was overheating). Anyhow, I'll get one tomorrow and pray it takes care of the problem so me and my open fisherman can get some lobster next week! Greatly appreciate it - let me know how I can pay you back (I have some excellent cigars from the Canary Islands - could send you a couple!)

Old 07-20-2004, 01:49 AM
JCswm
Veteran

Lobster..... Did you say LOBSTER
just kidding, just send your friends a link to this thread & tell them to join the site!!!

Old 07-20-2004, 02:04 AM
ricocivi

Will do!

Old 07-20-2004, 07:17 PM
rockadaous
Professional

[sm=smiley32.gif] great catch john

Old 05-21-2006, 12:03 AM
russellsomething

ok im no mechanic well actully i rebuild alison transmissions or at least i use to but i have a 99 dodge durango and had the same problem no bus on the odometer i freind contacted a friend at the dealership and they told them it was one of three things its the computer, dash cluster or loss wireing but one thing that will tell you if its the computer is if you hook a scan computer up on the inside of your car and the vehicle powers the scan devise up but reads nothing then it is most deffenitly the computer gone bad which will run you about $375 rebuilt with auto zone which takes 4 to 6 weeks or you can get a used one no warrenty for the same price in about 7 to 10 days but i have another problem now i think my ignition is bad from the same time because it wouldnt start but i ran a targa switch from battery to starter selinoid and it started right up if its not one thing it is another

Old 07-02-2006, 12:11 AM
windkist

We have a 99 dodge durango that is stalling and we have replaced the crank sensor but, after picking it up today it stalled again! we are so frustrated as we've only had this vehicle for maybe 4 weeks and 2 of that its been at the mechanic trying to get it to stall so, they can read a computer code. HELP!!!!! we are at our wits end!

Leah

Old 07-21-2006, 11:33 PM
kay1330
Rookie

I have a 99 D that kept stalling and never under the same circumstances, hot, cold, just started or running for hours.....We tried the crankshaft thing and a control module thing they said would fix it, it didn't.... My problem was the PCM, and it was under warranty up to 80,000 miles, so they gave me the run around because they really didn't want to give me a new one for free....Go for the PCM, Good Luck.

Old 09-17-2006, 07:30 PM
Custnam

I went ahead and bought a new/remnufactured one from ecu direct.com for $434 and it fixed it. But the trucks being repoed soon. So Ill be pulling the good one out and reinstalling the bad one. So anyone that wants to get rid of their "no bus" problem for good make me an offer and Ill let it go. My email is Custnam@aol.com Thanks

Old 11-19-2006, 08:02 PM
99scdakota

Silly question guys and gals...

I'm trying to replace the crankshaft position sensor module. How do you remove the plastic grommets on the inner fender splash shields? I tried popping them off, but found that they were threaded in. The grommets are circular with a circular indentation in the middle. Not sure what kind of tool to use to take these off. Help please....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stalling or no start NO BUS on odometer