3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Power wire and mileage ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 02:56 PM
nash1970
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power wire and mileage ?

I was looking at the power wire I was wondering if anyone has an opion on it and how it effects your mileage?

Old 07-21-2006, 10:16 PM
tamuccmike
Veteran
Default RE: Power wire and mileage ?

the good old power wire...i just took a trip...about 450 miles total and i had the PW on the entire time, got 18.1 mpg (no leadfoot at all, drove 70-75 the whole way) so id have to honestly admit that it does what it says, which is 2% more fuel to the engine...i took the same trip 2 months ago with the PW off and got 18.8 mpg...so you might lose a tiny bit of gas....but look at it this way, when you have to pass those ******* truckers who stay in the fast lane for 800 miles, you get past them a tad quicker...so it's worth it, plus nick said under certain cicumstances you MIGHT get better mpg...this might be true but don't be too worried about loss of mpg...nick is a really nice guy in person and his products are quality!!!

Old 07-21-2006, 10:54 PM
nos4fuel
Veteran

okay, how can u get 18.1 on an 05 Hemi when I get 18.8 Highway? (at 70mph and cruise control on)

Old 07-22-2006, 04:17 PM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: tamuccmike

the good old power wire...i just took a trip...about 450 miles total and i had the PW on the entire time, got 18.1 mpg (no leadfoot at all, drove 70-75 the whole way) so id have to honestly admit that it does what it says, which is 2% more fuel to the engine...i took the same trip 2 months ago with the PW off and got 18.8 mpg...so you might lose a tiny bit of gas....but look at it this way, when you have to pass those ******* truckers who stay in the fast lane for 800 miles, you get past them a tad quicker...so it's worth it, plus nick said under certain cicumstances you MIGHT get better mpg...this might be true but don't be too worried about loss of mpg...nick is a really nice guy in person and his products are quality!!!
The POWER WIRE will only add approximately 2.5% more fuel at WOT.... if your NOT at WOT then it will not add the additional fuel because the o2 sensors keep the AFR nailed down to 14.75:1. At WOT the PCM does not use the o2 sensors which allows the PCM to richen up the mixture for more HP. Because of this the POWER WIRE will richen you up approximaltey 1 full point which is great if you have LONG TUBES and other mods that tend to make you run lean. We mainly advertise it as a POWER MOD untill recently. over the last few months we have been getting countless reports from customers who actualy see gains of 1-2MPG after adding the POWE WIRE.... so we started pointing out that increase feul economey is also a common side effect under a light foot.

thank you for the coodos...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 07-22-2006, 04:21 PM
Nicky B
Captain

Where can I get a power wire from?

Old 07-23-2006, 01:45 AM
New2Durango
Professional

http://airram.com/products6.htm

Since I've got mine I haven't seen anything under 13.1 in the city yet. Before I was getting around 12.3. I'll be taking a trip to NJ next week so I'll see how it does on the highway.

Old 09-27-2006, 09:06 PM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: New2Durango

http://airram.com/products6.htm

Since I've got mine I haven't seen anything under 13.1 in the city yet. Before I was getting around 12.3. I'll be taking a trip to NJ next week so I'll see how it does on the highway.
Keep us posted... I look forward to hearing your results.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 09-27-2006, 09:17 PM
HemiBuell
Captain

No MPG improvement with mine. I tried different octanes, brands of gas (Shell, Mobil, Cumby's) long trips and around town. I keep track with mileage and complete tank fills.

There is a bit of extra kick at wide open throttle it seems. I don't hit WOT much though.

The power wire might be good for someone racing the hemi.

I definitely get better mileage with or without the power wire using Shell gas. I don't know how but it's close to a full mpg better consistently. .8mpg - .9mpg better. Weird.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:41 PM
hyprsho
Default She'll gas

The reason you get better mileage with shell when you use premium is that it does not contain ethanol. I get 2-3 mpg better with it than any other brands

Old 09-07-2013, 01:53 AM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicky B
Where can I get a power wire from?
You can find members who make them. I bought mine for $5. Thank goodness too because I got rid of it after 2 months. It's basically worthless in my mind unless you race.

Quick Reply: Power wire and mileage ?