General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

05 Dakota 4.7 Rough Idle

Old 01-25-2006, 11:10 PM
SpdRcr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Dakota 4.7 Rough Idle

[:@][>:] OK i recently purchased a 2005 dodge dakota brand new. the truck had 90 miles on it when i bought it. after i brought it home i noticed the idle was somewhat rough (aentenna wobbling around 3-4 inchs, and clearly visible when looking at truck body) i figured that i purchased a truck that had been sitting on the lot for over a year more than likely and it just needed to be drive. after putting 1000 miles on the odometer there was no change in the idle. i brouth it to the dealer and they were unable to check the obd2 because the tank was full (newer vehicles must be between 7/8 and 1/8 of a tank to do self-diagnosis). this was friday. i brought it back saturday morning bright and ealy, they told me to leave it and i did. it is now wednesday night and they still have no clue what is wrong with my truck, they have been communicating with chrysler techs and are unable to come to any conclusion. they say they have one the normal self-diagnosing of obd2, have checked all 8 coils, all eight injectors and have monitored output from all sensors and everything seems to be normal, they performed a compression check and that was good (and i knew it would be because the truck runs fine and has plenty of power) so they are now in the process of removing the cams for precision measure?!?!?!?! why?!?!?!?!?[:'(][:@][>:] i dont understand, oh i almost forgot, when i brought it in i told them to look at the harmonic balancer/crankshaft pulley because there is a wobble there, i went to another lot and looked at other 05 4.7s while running and they don't look like mine, i also had a 2000 dakota with the 4.7 and it didnt wobble either, i have explained this to the mech ant the dealer and he refuses to check it or replace it because "that wouldn't cause the problem you are having here" ok im not albert einstein, but i do have an AAP in Automotive technology and i spent most of that time working with obd2, i also work on aircraft drive systems which includes checking and balancing drivshafts, i know what vibration looks like and what it can do to bearings... anyway i know this post is long, i am look for some advice... any input would be appreciated.

Old 01-26-2006, 07:21 PM
SpdRcr
Default RE: 05 Dakota 4.7 Rough Idle

new update... i went to the dealer today and actually got to talk to the technician instead of the service writer... the results of the compression check they did was that one bank was 20lbs lower than the other bank.. that being the case one of a few things may have happened according to the tech (who got his info from a chrysler engineer): the cam timing may be off one tooth, which would cause a rough idle but smooth out because the coil on plug ignition would "hide" the offset cam timing at any other RPM, or the head was machined improperly causing a higher compression on one side or low on the other, or a set of HO piston was put in one side which would suck because of down time but, i was told that they could put the HO piston in instead of the other ones.. which would mean that my engine would essentially be an HO (im not sure but i believe that is the major difference).. but i am really hoping that it is the cam timing issue because that would mean that i could get my truck back by the weekend YAY!! but anyway waiting on them to check it i will know something tomorrow

Old 01-30-2006, 09:28 PM
SpdRcr

cam timing was dead on now they got a new cam on order because they "seem to think the cam was indexed improperly" hmmm, sounds like we dont know what is going on

Old 02-03-2006, 06:53 PM
SpdRcr

[:@][:@] ok cam was replaced, engine put back together... same thing... rough idle, now they wanna put a short block and 2 new heads in my BRAND NEW TRUCK!!! i think not... they said they are going to see if they can get a factory rep to authorize an assembly line motor (which comes reay to drop in)... but i have other plans which i will discuss later....

Old 02-03-2006, 08:48 PM
Radman
Rookie

D E M A N D a different truck!!!

Why in the lords name are you screwing with them!!!!?????

You're dealing with MORONS!!

Even if they do get it to idle right, will you EVER trust it again?

Again, DEMAND a different truck NOW!!

Old 02-06-2006, 02:14 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: Radman

D E M A N D a different truck!!!

Why in the lords name are you screwing with them!!!!?????

You're dealing with MORONS!!

Even if they do get it to idle right, will you EVER trust it again?

Again, DEMAND a different truck NOW!!

I agree totaly. Get a new truck and stop the horsing around already.

Old 02-07-2006, 06:34 PM
SpdRcr

in response to you 2 that is my plan... i said "i have other plans which i will discuss later.." well i got up with chrysler and told them i wanted a new truck, they said the next step is Arbitration where me, chrysler and a 3rd party will discuss the situation with the 3rd party making the final call. the service manager, general manager and sales manager, as well as the customer service rep. at chrysler all agree with me and said they "dont see any reason why i will be disputed" being the truck only has 1300 miles on it (or under). and they are not even doing an arbitration... i am just waiting to hear back from the District Manager... the service manager is my POC and he told me off the record that he believes i am getting a new truck but isn't allowed to say so... which brings me to the next issue.. they are going to buy it back if that is the case.. but i may have to pay for milage?!!?!!? i.e. the 1250 or so miles???? i thnk not... anyway i will not pay a penny more for another one with the same or hopefully more options... will update later.. its been 2 weeks and one day.. in one week it will be a lemon by NC law... if it is still in the shop.. which it will likely be because they havent ordered any parts or an engine for mine yet.... i got an 01 dodge ram RC with the 3.9L what a piece of crap!!!!!!!!!!! it wouldnt hold 75 on the hwy without dropping a gear once in a while.......

Old 02-15-2006, 09:29 PM
SpdRcr

[&:][:'(][:@][>:] well its still in the shop... i plan to hire an attorney tomorrow... what a mess this has turned out to be.... forget dodge, im going to get a Titan if this gets resolved in my favor... i mean come on moer power, more torque, more room, more truck... all for the same price!! anyway.. this really sucks... dealer has since put my truck outside and they are "waiting to hear back from the DM" oh well it will be a lemon on tuesday....

Old 09-28-2006, 04:54 PM
metall5468

Any luck with your truck. I am having the same problem. I brought it to the dealer I purchased it from, three times. The all say it's normal and it's a characteristic of the engine. I say thats a bunch of bullsh*t. No Newer engine should shake when it idles. And if it's a characteristic of the engine than why when I started up another one it ran great.

Anyway I brought it to another dealer and they seem to maybe know whats wrong. However if they do not fix it I will be going to the state for a lemon law. If they do fix it I will let you know what it was.

I am starting to feel like "I should have stuck with Toyota!"

Thanks,

~Steve~

P.s. It's a 2005 Dodge Dakota, 4.7 Magnum V8. And a Five speed auto transmission (I think).

Old 09-28-2006, 06:16 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

The last reply to this thread was in February. I advise you to start your own thread. It will get noticed more.

You may want to post it in the appropriate Dakota section as well

And one more thing, definitely give info about the truck. Model year...engine...transmission

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 05 Dakota 4.7 Rough Idle