2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

fan clutch noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 09:29 PM
kstroeher
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fan clutch noise

I replaced my fan clutch about 3 weeks ago. No surprises or problems. Since then, I thought I was having transmission issues, as it sounded/felt like the truck didn't want to upshift when I would first take off. I finally figured out today that the new fan clutch is howling for the first 30 seconds or so and then quiets down. It's a NAPA fan clutch that seems to be working properly, except for the noise that the oem part didn't make. Did I get a bad one? Do I need to be concerned? A buddy said some are noisy, some are quiet, he wouldn't worry about it. What do you think?

Old 09-28-2006, 09:35 PM
robert97dodge
Professional
Default RE: fan clutch noise

ORIGINAL: kstroeher

I replaced my fan clutch about 3 weeks ago. No surprises or problems. Since then, I thought I was having transmission issues, as it sounded/felt like the truck didn't want to upshift when I would first take off. I finally figured out today that the new fan clutch is howling for the first 30 seconds or so and then quiets down. It's a NAPA fan clutch that seems to be working properly, except for the noise that the oem part didn't make. Did I get a bad one? Do I need to be concerned? A buddy said some are noisy, some are quiet, he wouldn't worry about it. What do you think?
Most fan clutches are loud at first and then once the truck warms up a little bit they will quiet down. When it is cold the fan blade is turning as fast as the motor but once it warms up and the clutch start working more the fan blade actually slows down and that is when it gets quieter.

Old 09-28-2006, 09:40 PM
kstroeher
Professional
Default RE: fan clutch noise

OK, I was only concerned because I never remembered the original one being this loud. Thanks!

Old 12-27-2010, 01:19 AM
clintoncole79
Default napa fan clutch

I was wondering the same thing, I just put a napa fan clutch on it and does the same thing as your explaining.. I know for a fact my old one didnt.. Kinda sucks it does it since it seems to rob power when its turning full speed. But like you said, it does go away once you get going. Still is anyoing.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:08 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

my fan clutch is new as well (carquest, and its not a reman) and my fan clutch roars until the truck is in operating temp, then its quiet....so thats just normal.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:07 PM
wcb362

I got my truck a few weeks ago ...2004 , 5.7 , it made the same loud noise.When started and when driving it. The last owner replaced the fan clutch. I put up with it till today .I found out he replaced it with a autozone fan clutch, I went to the dealer and got a new one, I'm glad I did I found out it has the heavy duty cooling !! and the one that was on the truck was not for heavy duty cooling.. The factory part dose not roar like the autozone one did.

Quick Reply: fan clutch noise