3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram 4x4 vs Chevy ground clearance

Old 10-03-2006, 03:29 PM
rumpumpkin
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram 4x4 vs Chevy ground clearance

I'm looking to replace my '95 Chevy K2500 4x4 ext-cab. I've been comparing the Dodge Ram 2500/3500 4x4 with the Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4. I've been drawn to the look and feel of the Dodge with its' front-end styling and taller stance. I think the Chevy is a great truck also, but I don't like the independent front suspension, or its' seemingly low ride height. Just doesn't look like a tough 4x4 coming off the lot.

However, I was surprised to find that the Chevy ground clearance is listed as 10.1" and the Dodge at only about 7.1"...what gives? Visually, it looks like the Dodge would be inches ahead of the Chevy?

Old 10-04-2006, 01:49 AM
Cement Head
Default RE: Ram 4x4 vs Chevy ground clearance

Dodge = solid front axel!!!

Old 10-04-2006, 02:34 AM
claydawg
Rookie

Yeah, I'm gonna guess the IFS on the Chevy is what will make the difference. I'm not a big fan of the IFS, but that's why I don't have one.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:21 AM
djr04
All Star

I was under the impression that the 2006 1500's have an IFS, just not the heavy duties.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:32 AM
Maintain
Rookie

ORIGINAL: claydawg

Yeah, I'm gonna guess the IFS on the Chevy is what will make the difference. I'm not a big fan of the IFS, but that's why I don't have one.
I'm guessing you were joking since you have IFS on your 06 1500.

RUMPUMPKIN - You've got IFS now. Do you like it? Does it bother you? Are you planning on going diesel or going gas?
Chevy has the highest "lowest point of clearance" while dodge and ford's solid axle differential housing drops down since they're huge, it kills that aspect of the clearance. However, measure from the axle tube, or the frame and you'll see that dodge and ford are above in "overall clearance. If you're planning on going with the gas motor I'd say go chevy hands down (over dodge AND ford). The Hemi sounds good on TV but in reality the chevy 6.0 will eat it up in a real heavy duty pickup. I personally favor diesel and the Cummins is a GREAT motor. I have the bed/cab configs dodge has come up with, and is one of the main reasons I'm not in one. The duramax doesn't feel like a heavy duty pickup but it sure is fast. Ford feels heavy duty, solid axle, strong motor, best auto tranny, and great creature comforts.

I'd go GMC duramax if I were to have to choose between a new dodge or chevy.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:05 PM
claydawg
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Maintain

ORIGINAL: claydawg

I'm guessing you were joking since you have IFS on your 06 1500.
I was referring to the reason I didn't by a 4-wheel drive with an IFS. In the end I decided I didn't need a 4wd at all...for now.

Old 10-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chevy and Ford doesnt eat up the Hemi in the HD line. Are you on crack? I test drove all HD gas motors (Chevy,Ford, Dodge)and the Hemi has more low end grunt.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:12 PM
nathanp
Captain

not sure if its true but i heard once that the rams all come with kind of a 2" lift stock from the factory and thats why they look taller then frod and chevy. Not sure if thats true or not, would make sense though

Old 10-04-2006, 04:23 PM
rumpumpkin
Rookie

I have nothing but good things to say about my current Chevy IFS. However, this time around, I would really like to avoid the full on lift kit, body lift, new wheels, etc. I like the Dodge because I can simply add a slightly taller tire and a leveling kit to achieve the look I'm after and pursue some mild off-roading. As for gas or diesel, well...that's a decision I'm currently wrestling with, and probably my next post. If I go gas, it would probably be a Power Wagon versus a Chevy 2500 HD 6.0 CC, SB. Diesel of course comes down to Cummins versus Duramax & quad/mega cab vs standard crew cab.

Another Dodge anomaly I'm wrestling with is the lower payload ratings. Seems like the Dodge outweighs a comparably equipped Chevy by upwards of 1000 lbs? Seems to hurt its' overall payload rating.

Old 10-12-2006, 05:04 AM
Maintain
Rookie

Yeah, I'm on the good stuff... CRACK. I see that you're all about your hemi by your lil avatar... care to race your so called "HEMI" against my slightly modified 7.3 that doesn't even make 345 hp at the rear wheels and weighs more then 1,000 lbs more then yours?

The Chevy 6.0 is by FAR the better motor, sorry to burst your bubble but that 5.7 doesn't belong in a 2500+ truck... CUMMINS is the way to go.
As for your comment "the hemi has more grunt" means nothing to me, look at track #'s even with less HP...
5.7 "Hemi" = 345/375 at the crank.
6.0 Vortec = 300/360 at the crank

The 6.0L is the WEAKEST motor you can get in a 2500+ GM while the 5.7 is the best next to the CUMMINS!

FLAME SUIT ON...

Edit: ClayDog, sorry didn't realize your truck wasn't 4x4... can't really tell w/ the small picture!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ram 4x4 vs Chevy ground clearance