2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

injector removal problems

Old 10-06-2006, 12:36 AM
timwag2001
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default injector removal problems

Im haveing a lot of problems removing the fuel rails and injectors. any suggestions

alos, does anyone have any pics of the intake manifold thats been removed?

Old 10-06-2006, 01:22 AM
Ramdamit98
Captain
Default RE: injector removal problems

WHat's giving you trouble? I had my fuel rails off this weekend. With any luck maybe I can help.

No pics of my intake off though. The girlfreind was out of town with the camera when I did my Plenum gasket.

Old 10-06-2006, 02:05 AM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

What you looking for in the pictures? I have pictures of a modified intake that I have arranged to sell at this link: https://dodgeforum.com/m_556837/tm.htm

Hope it helps.

Old 10-06-2006, 02:36 AM
timwag2001
All Star

the fuel line that goes to the rail itself, how the hell does that come off? I cant really get the injectors out of the manifold either. i dont want to force it too much and bust something.

i took off the intake manifold anyway, without disconnecting the fuel rail... i just cant actually take it out. I noticed that i had one bolt missing out of the back corner (passenger side), after taking the manifold off i noticed that the last owner or a mechanic snapped the bolt off. Its sticking about 1 1/2" to 2" out of the head. I cant figure out how to get it out. I have a bolt extracter set that you drill into the bolt and use the corkscrew bit to pull it out but i cant get back there with any of my drills. Any suggestions?

Old 10-06-2006, 03:30 AM
Ramdamit98
Captain

The fuel line requires a fuel line removal tool. It's a couple bucks at part store. It goes over the metal fuel line on the fuel rail and then slides into the metal quick connect fitting on the end of the fuel line.

I removed the retaining clip and then I had to push the fuel line towards the fuel rail slide the removal tool into the quick connect and then pull them apart. First time I did it it made me work at it until I got the hang of it.

As for the injectors. Since you have your intake apart There should be the four bolts holding on the injector rail and then they should just pop out with a little, steady force. It probably wouldn't hurt to spray them with some WD40 or something to help moisten the o-ring and help it to pop out.

EDIT: Of course I'm working on a '98 so if there's any changes to the newer ones someone please chime in.

Old 10-06-2006, 03:36 AM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, that fitting to the rails can be a PITA

After you disconnected negative battery cable, unlock the gas cap and remove any pressure in the tank. If you have a shrader valve be sure to release the pressure first holding a rag around the valve while depressing it helps. Best to make sure the engine is cool when doing this.
Pull the retainer clip off fuel line to rail, put the fuel line disconnect tool in and pull towards the drivers side. At the same time I tap the bend in the fuel line towards the fuel rail (while still pulling disconnect tool towards ds) Usually pops right off then.

After the fuel line is disconnected (drain into container) and the bolts holding the rails down are out I pull the rails and injectors out together. Grab the rail and gently rock it side to side from front to back of the rail then pull up on the front and they pop out one at a time. Repeat on the other side. Stilll a fair bit of gas in the rails so becarefull. I then drain the rail into a container.

Here are a couple pictures, not sure if they will be much use to you. If you need specific pictures let me know. I have my complete stock fuel system out right now. (Aeromotive Eliminator system going in)

Old 10-06-2006, 03:38 AM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL, guess I was a bit slow posting

Old 10-06-2006, 12:49 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: timwag2001

the fuel line that goes to the rail itself, how the hell does that come off? I cant really get the injectors out of the manifold either. i dont want to force it too much and bust something.

*snip*
There is a $15 tool that will remove the clip that holds the fuel line to the fuel rail, OR, do like I did and use both hands. Just pinch the "fingers" (mine are yellow) of the clip and push upward. I suggest securing the intake to the block so it does provides resistance. Pinch really hard, push upward and it will come out. Very easy to accomplish. Installation is simple as well. Just push the fuel line firmly and pop the clip into place.

Old 10-06-2006, 01:23 PM
smartobject
Rookie

Don't mean to sidetrack the thread, sorry, but RM_Indy -- did you paint your AC / Alt. mounting bracket? That sure is a clean look. Real nice.

Cheers,
Lee

Old 10-06-2006, 05:55 PM
timwag2001
All Star

yeah, looks good.

Im about to get under the hood again. I picked up the most expensive pieces of plastic that i'll ever purchase that they call tools. i'll post back later on tonight.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: injector removal problems