1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's
Old 08-06-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cooling System
Print Wikipost

How to drain ALL the coolant from my durango?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 05:05 PM
jstonekc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to drain ALL the coolant from my durango?

Hi people, this "should" be an easy question but ... I tried to drain all the coolant in my 2000 Durango 4WD 4.7L last weekend, to flush it and get it ready for winter. All I got was about a gallon.

I found the petcock, cracked it open and it only drained about a half a gallon even with the radiator cap off and overflow tank cap off. I pulled off the lower radiator hose and got maybe another half a gallon from the block. According to the manual, this thing should hold 17 quarts (over 4 gallons!). How in the heck do I get the rest of it to drain?

Thanks for your help!!

Jeff in KC

Old 10-18-2006, 07:43 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: How to drain ALL the coolant from my durango?

if you've taken off the lower rad hose and thats all you got... then I think thats all you had in there. did you check it before you dumped all the coolant?
________
GUY **** HARD

Last edited by jonnymagnum; 05-08-2011 at 03:25 AM.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:14 PM
jstonekc

No, I didn't check it prior, but it has not been running hot. Also, after draining, I refilled it at the radiator cap -- not the overflow tank -- and it only took one gallon before it was full. Strange... ???

Old 10-19-2006, 03:09 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The remaining amount of fluids may just be sitting inside the engine block as well as the hoses and to the heater core. You should buy a flush kit from prestone if they still make them so you can do a reverse flush with the engine running. This will purge all the old fluids out of your durango.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:18 PM
bmilnarich
Default Drain vs Flush coolant

Hi all,
I've read a few entries on this and have been doing my homework, but thought I'd post the question to the forum for your feedback.

I have a '00 Durango, 4.7 V8 4WD. It's just shy of 123,000 miles. I bought it almost 4 years ago so don't know the service schedule on it, although I either take it in or DYI on most regular service needs.

Q: Is it better to drain and refill the coolant or have the system flushed? I beleive the coolant in the system is the original and it's started to become dirty over the past few months. To my knowledge, the system has never been flushed, nor has the coolant been changed.

I know some pros and cons to both, but looking for any advice on what the group thinks.

Thanks

Old 12-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by bmilnarich
Hi all,
I've read a few entries on this and have been doing my homework, but thought I'd post the question to the forum for your feedback.

I have a '00 Durango, 4.7 V8 4WD. It's just shy of 123,000 miles. I bought it almost 4 years ago so don't know the service schedule on it, although I either take it in or DYI on most regular service needs.

Q: Is it better to drain and refill the coolant or have the system flushed? I beleive the coolant in the system is the original and it's started to become dirty over the past few months. To my knowledge, the system has never been flushed, nor has the coolant been changed.

I know some pros and cons to both, but looking for any advice on what the group thinks.

Thanks

bmilnarich,

Even though your question is similar to the OP's topic, you should start your own thread for this question.

To the OP,

I am not to know to much about the 4.7's but, i do know on the 5.2/5.9's there are block drain plugs on each side. perhaps the 4.7 is the same?

Quick Reply: How to drain ALL the coolant from my durango?