2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Little to no power steering assist at idle, any ideas?

Old 11-07-2006, 11:00 PM
SC99Dakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little to no power steering assist at idle, any ideas?

To begin with, the truck is 99 Dakota Sport Club Cab 5.2liter, Auto, 4x4, 31" tires, 95K miles

When the truck is at idle speed there is very little power steering assist when trying to turn the steering wheel. If I give it alittle gas it turns freely and easily. My thought is that it is the power steering pump, but wanted to see if anyone else has had a similiar problem, I am hoping it is not the rack. Does any know if there is a way to test the power steering pump? Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

SC99Dakota

Old 11-07-2006, 11:12 PM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Little to no power steering assist at idle

well its not gonna be easy to turn the wheel anyway at a standstill sicne your tires are giving resistance to turning and the power steering pump isnt really being powered enough at idle to turn the tires with ease.. try letting it roll in drive, reverse, neutral and turn the wwheel.. should become easier, thats the only thing that comes to mind since u said nce you speed up the engine, it becomes easier to turn the wheel so my diagnosis is.. power steering pump is fine... unless its leaking or there's air in the system

Old 11-11-2006, 02:11 AM
SC99Dakota
Default RE: Little to no power steering assist at idle, any ideas?

Anybody else have this problem?

Old 11-11-2006, 02:46 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the fluid at the proper level? Is it leaking/loosing fluid?
Is the pump making weird noises (growling, whining, etc.) Some noise is normal, but bad pumps usually put off a distinct noise.
You might want to get your system pressure tested. This can help verify if the pump or gear is bad.

Little Side Note: Do not use ATF+4 for your power steering fluid. Only 2002+ model year Dakotas are to use ATF+4 for their power steering fluid (and should not use conventional power steering fluid). On 2001 and under Dakotas, use conventional power steering fluid. Source: Chrysler TSB 19-005-03 dated Aug 29, 2003. (See here)

Old 11-11-2006, 01:01 PM
SC99Dakota

Dodgerules86,

Thanks for your input. To answer your questions: The fuild is at the proper level, color is good, no burnt smell. No leaks at all. I trying to figure out whether it is the pump or the rack. Have you ever had a powersteering pump pressure tested? Do you know what that would cost? I do all my own work, but don't have the equipment to test the pressure of the powersteering pump. Also I have tried to find spec on what the pressure should be based on different RPM levels but I can not find that either. So I am thinking it may cheaper to just replace the pump since I can get a remanufactured one for $75, and it may cost that much to test it..

SC99Dakota

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Little to no power steering assist at idle, any ideas?