3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Calling all who have rebuilt a 9.25 Rear axle!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 10:37 AM
motorhead426
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling all who have rebuilt a 9.25 Rear axle!!

Ok, So I'm reading through the service manual before I tear apart my spare axle, and I'm seeing there is a special tool that enters the axle tube and extends all the way down to the differential bearings so that you can tighten and adjust the screws for the bearings. Who has rebuilt one of these axles, and what did you use to tighten these adjusters without the "special tool"? I'm thinking I could make something up, but I'd like to hear what others have done. Does pep boys, or autozone stores rent tools like this? I would guess not.

Old 11-13-2006, 03:32 PM
motorhead426
All Star
Default RE: Calling all who have rebuilt a 9.25 Rear axle!!

There has to be someone that has rebuilt or replaced the differential/carrier in a 1500 rear axle. Come on guys.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:38 PM
wmorales

Hey Friend

The tool you seek is available at http://www-jawgear.com for $50. These guys also carry dummy bearings for setting pinion depth and carrier bearing shimming. These dummy bearings look like regular tampered bearings, but the I.D.s have been machined for a non-press fit onto the pinion and carrier. On the Chry 9.25" rear-end you'll only need the pinion dummy bearings (if you change ring and pinion gears). The carrier bearings on the Chry 9.25" use adjustable retainers, which is why this retainer adjusting tool is needed. The carrier bearings on this Chry axle don't use shims so you don't have to worry about installing and removing carrier bearings to get the right stack-up to adjust the back lash.

The carrier retainer tool can be homemade, according to some articles I read on rebuilding the 9.25 Chry rear end. The carrier adjuster/retainer center opening is a HEXAGON SHAPE. The key components are: 1. a nut of the size that fits the inside hex shaped opening of the bearing retainer/adjuster; 2. a pipe long enough to reach the Carrier. and 3. a turkey 1/2" Drive Socket to weld on the pipe end so you can turn it with rachet / breaker bar / torque wrench. The nut and turkey-socket get welded to the pipe. You may have to weld a stop of some type on the nut to keep it from going all the way through the retainer center opening. I have not torn down my rear-end yet, but I believe I have the concept layed out. If you come up with some more knowledge of what this takes... be sure to let me know at wmorales@airmail.net

I am looking at R&R-ing may 2002 Ram 4X4 with OEM LSD. The clutch pack retainer "U" clips broke on at least one side of my truck's carrier housing. These "U" shaped clutch pack retaining clips (parts) are the thing that break and apparently causes the axle retaining "C" clips to fail if the broken clutch pack clips (debris) end up in the wrong place. If the axle "C" clips fail the axles come out of the rear-end housing. A member in this forum talks about this failure in another discussion concerning rear AXLE failure.

There are actually four (4) of these clutch pack "U" shaped retaining clips in the Chry 9.25 rear end carrier housing. I bought a Chry 9.5" LSD rebuild kit on e-bay for $80 and these clutch pack clips are included. They are made of harden steel and look like that could real do some damage in the rear housing, if they come out of there proper position. The two that broke on my truck ended up stuck on the magnet Chry wisely put in the rear end housing. My clutch pack clips had been chopped-up a little, indicating that they had some contact with the ring and pinion gear. Lots of metal shavings also. I noticed no really unusual noises from my rear end, but did get a occassional grown when I make a turn under load (and at low speeds)... like when turning left or right at a intersection. To give you an idea of what these "U" shape clips look like... if you took a 3/4" I.D. pipe and cut off a piece some 1 inch long and then cut down the length of the pipe to make two-half... that's what these clutch pack retaining clips look like.

There is a web page that goes through the Chry 9.25 rear end rebuild... complete with pictures and tech specs, but I don't remember the site address just now. This site shows a ("bad") picture of the carrier breaing retainer/adjuster tool they made. I plan to disassemble my rear end first and look for a suitable nut to fit the carrier adjuster. I don't know if the hex nut is a std. size or will need to ground down to fit the inside hex shape of the retainer/adjuster. It does not look to be that hard of a tool to build. Nothing else seems to be wrong with my rear end at this point. However, I will need to inspect bearings and the like. As long as I keep the same ring and pinion I should be able to carefully measure and mark there position for reassembly with the same specs.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:55 PM
kharding20
Professional

I went out in the scrap pile and got a piece of pipe (small pipe) and welded the a big nut on the end and made on. I ended up with about 1 dollar in welding rod in it, not 50 bucks for the part.

Old 11-15-2006, 01:48 PM
motorhead426
All Star

I found a site inline that sells special tools, and they happened to have the one I needed. It only cost me $40 shipped, so I just went ahead and bought it. The is...

SJ Discount Tools

I figure I'll be rebuilding more than one axle in the future so I'll just add this tool to my collection.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:11 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

an old torsion bar out of a 1960s Chrysler car can be used as a 9.25 adjuster as it has the right shape head

webpage with rebuild info:

http://www.off-road.com/dodge/ramcha...le_Rebuild.htm

Old 11-16-2006, 10:29 AM
motorhead426
All Star

There was a couple of reasons that I just went ahead and bought it. First, i read a few articles in other dodge related forums where a guy went out and got a torsion bar and it didn't fit. Secondly, instead of taking time off work (and not getting paid) I just used the extra money I made and used it on the tool. It's "Pay me now, or pay me later" kind of thing, lol. That and it has been cold and wet here in Michigan, and walking around in a muddy junkyard doesn't excite me. Thanks for the input guys.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:43 PM
pacblueram

I assume your rebuilding the rear becuase it locked up or its making noise???

Old 11-03-2010, 10:16 AM
outlawfox13
Amateur

I know I am a lil late to this thread, but I used a small punch in the case spreader holes. But I hav also found out that most axle nuts are the correct size so all you would need to do is weld the nut on a bar and viola!

Old 11-03-2010, 08:40 PM
dieseldoc1
Professional

i don't know about the new stuff but my old 79 had 2 holes under the cover lined up with the adj nuts. used a punch to turn them.

Quick Reply: Calling all who have rebuilt a 9.25 Rear axle!!