Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Smoking Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 11:40 AM
Jtcruz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoking Caravan

I'm having a problem with my 96 Caravan 3.0 , check engine light is on and smoke can be seen coming right under the front plugs, what the problem might be ?.

Help!

Old 11-30-2006, 12:25 PM
k12allen
Professional
Default RE: Smoking Caravan

I get smoke from under the front plugs because my valve cover gasket leaks oil down onto the header. But that doesn't make the check engine light come on. And it doesn't do it all the time, but stinks when it does. I don't use more than half a quart between oil changes, so it's not an emergency and fixing gets put off.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:41 PM
Jtcruz

ORIGINAL: Jtcruz

I'm having a problem with my 96 Caravan 3.0 , check engine light is on and smoke can be seen coming right under the front plugs, what the problem might be ?.

Help!
Codes from the engine were taken with the code reader and a code for a bad O2 sensor was obtained,sensor was replaced and the check engine light still is on and the bad smell and fumes still coming from front of engine

Old 11-30-2006, 02:45 PM
caravan99
Rookie

About the smoke must be some oil leaking over a hot surface. Check the leak.

about check engine light, disconect the battery for a few minutes and check the code again. You can check by your self.

Turn the key to on position without start the engine three times and leave it on. The check engine wil start blinking giving you the code. the fist code will be 2-1 ( fisst 50 starts after disconect the battery) ok. then other code will appears and the last code will be 5-5 ( ending) ok

check the code!

Old 11-30-2006, 07:37 PM
mazdab2600
Rookie

i think that cycleing of the key was obd 1 up to 95
96 and up are obd 2 scan tools only

if the smoke is not oil it could be a head gasket sweating antifreeze

Old 11-30-2006, 11:15 PM
caravan99
Rookie

I did it with mine and it works. mine is a 99. and I got this precedure @ Haynes Repair Manual Dodge Caravan1996 thru 2002 (manual 30011) It is realy useful. It tell you how to do it an the code description. Page 6-6

The diference with the scan tool is that this one is more in details.

CORRECTION OF MY LAST REPLY: First code will be 1-2 if the battery was disconected.

If head gasket is leaking...... check if there is some oil @ the antifreeze @ the radiator.[8D]

Quick Reply: Smoking Caravan