Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

power outlet/cig. lighter

Old 04-13-2006, 11:39 AM
wiggums99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power outlet/cig. lighter

Hi all, we have a 2005 Caravan 2.4 (went down from a Grand Caravan, got a killer deal and it's a great little van)

Anyhow, the power outlets stopped working. I thought probably a fuse, so I checked the box and the power outlet/cigarette lighter is no where to be seen. I saw that it's connected to the ignition, but that fuse is fine, and of course the van does start. Is there a switch or another fuse? It's still under warranty if there's another problem.

thanks

Old 06-15-2006, 03:38 PM
redmemnoch
Default RE: power outlet/cig. lighter

have the same problem now did you figure out where the fuse goes /

Old 12-04-2006, 10:48 AM
shanew1289

I will add my first post here too! Seems like a common issue. Dont see why I should start a new thread

My 2005 Grand Caravan does not have any power to the lower front Accesory Outlet. Otherwise known in the past as the Cigarette Lighter.

My manual says the fuse is self resettable and only replaceable by the Dealer. I wont even start on how stupid that seems, but anyways I am curious if someone know where Dodge keeps that?

I also have no radio so it would be odd if that fuse doesnt protect the radio as it is dead.

Anyone ever replaced one of those?

Old 06-06-2007, 01:05 AM
mudskipper

It was 12/4/2006. Now it's June 5 2007 and I've got the exact same problem with my 2002 Caravan SE.
No power to the front Power Outlet and the radio. Yet there is power to the mid-section outlet.
Owner's Manual says to see authorized dealer to activate the Self Resetting Fuse !!!
Kaa-chiiinggg$$$$$$$$$ for manufacturer and dealers! Deliberately hide that fuse for that commonly used outlet (for cellphones, coolers, inverters etc).
Would be nice if someone can let me know the location and how to reset those fuses.
Anyone, please?

Old 06-07-2007, 03:47 AM
Dodge Tech
Captain

fuse 5 20amp

Old 06-07-2007, 10:57 AM
greaseangel
Professional

I have a different problem with my outlets. The plastic support ring on the front one fell off as I plugged in my cell charger and the outlet pushed behind the hole. It worked fine still though. For a few days, all was good, I just didn't unplug the charger lol. Then one day it stopped working. So I gave the charger to my kid and had him plug it in in the back, and that one wouldn't work either. The kids had watched a dvd the day before, so I know that outlet was working. Radio and everything else works fine.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:45 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain

what year van?? try the charger in a different car.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:55 PM
mudskipper

Thanks Dodge Tech, for trying to help.The cig lighter/radio combinedfuse is not in the IPM fuse box (Integrated Power Module fuse box). The IPM fuse box isunder the hoodclose to thebattery but the Self Resetting Fuses for the cig lighter (and radio combined)are somewhere else.
I have checked every fuse in the IPM fuse box under the hood with a multi-tester and none of them are burnt or open. All got continuity. But there is still no power to the cig lighter and radio.
Dodge Chrysler cleverly put the cig lighter and radio into one fuse, hide them somewhere instead of inside the regular IPM fuse box totry to forceall poor guysand gals who cannot live withoutthe radio toquickly run to the nearest "Authorized Dealer" who charges $75.00 just to test if the fuse needs resetting. Add parts and labour to the the initial $75.00 testing and you are looking at well over $100.00 just to do the fuse!!

Old 06-07-2007, 11:19 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain

no such thing as a self resetting fuse more like a ckt breaker ok fuses good then u ahve a front controler issue acc relay issue or an ipm issue and possable a wire issue take a look u deside i only know what u tell me on here.

[IMG]local://upfiles/51666/BCE61C7F03A54D7092B8C2752A1A558F.gif[/IMG]

Old 06-08-2007, 02:54 AM
mudskipper

First off, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply and to attach the circuit diagram.
Thank you very much, Dodge Tech.
Look likes thediagram may be for another model vehicle.
Direct quote from my 2002 Dodge Caravan SE 3.3L V-6 Owner's ManualPage 335-336 " ...lower instrument panelPower Outlet (front Cig Lighter) and Removable Floor Console in the front position are fused with Self Resetting Fuses that are only serviceable by an authorized dealer. The power seats are fused by a 30Amp circuit breaker located under the driver's seat... If you experience temporary or permanent loss of these systems, seek an authorized dealer for service."
I believe these exact same words are also in Page 338 of the 2002 Chrysler Town & Country Owner's Manual.

All I need to know is where the cig lighter "self resetting fuse" assembly is located. It is certainly not under the hood and definitely notin the IPM fuse and relay box beside the battery.

And onthe same topicof "No Such Thing", I'm reminded,believe it or not butit's true, that I've been to 3 Dodge Chrysler dealerships, all 5-Star Dealerships!! askingthe service people about changing the Air-Con cabin air filter and it was "No Such Thing"!They didn't believe such a filter exist until I showed them Page 310 of the above same manual!! Service people in 5-Star (highest star rating!) Dodge Chrysler (now Daimler Dodge Chrysler) dealerships!!

I just couldn't believe a customer could know about it and they didn't!!Iwas in many such situationsand not just about the air con cabin air filter only.

Dodge Daimler Chrysler is not being fair to their service techs by not communicating upgrades, changes etc to them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: power outlet/cig. lighter