1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Needed help with clunking noise while in 4WD

Old 12-10-2006, 11:09 PM
Caspian
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needed help with clunking noise while in 4WD

I just got my truck yesterday and was wondering if someone could help me out. While engaging the 4wd (1996 dakota sport V6) there is this grinding/clunking noise. The transfer case is leaking some around the tail shaft and I think that that could be the problem. The previous owner drove it with two different sized tires and my dad thinks that this could have messed up something. The truck will go into 4wd fine, and while going straight it will usually be ok. While turning you can hear this grinding in a gear somewhere. If this is the transfer case, can I use a case from any Dakota of this generation? Does it have to be a manual tranny V6? I know that there could be a thousand different things, where should I start? Could it be the axles?

Old 12-11-2006, 03:03 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Needed help with clunking noise while in 4WD

When you say, "While turning you can hear this grinding in a gear somewhere," are you turning while on a non-slippery surface? Because you shouldn't be in 4WD (especially while turning, and especially if turning hard) unless on a slipperly surface (muddy, icy, snowy, or very wet).
Being in 4WD (especially while turning) while on a non-slippery surface can put extra stress on (or destroy) parts. The reasons being is there has to be some "give" in the system.

About the fluid: check to see if the fluid level is overfilled. The fill plug is located close to the center of the case, about half-way up. I don't remember what size socket it takes, but it was pretty big size. The correct fluid level is just at the bottom of the fill plug. The vent could also be closed/block, or the seals are bad or installed wrong (lip on seal should face interior of case).

Also, the correct fluid is ATF.

Old 12-11-2006, 02:12 PM
Caspian

I was not turning hard at all while on dry pavement. Actually, the slightest turn of the wheel was causing this noise. It was a loud clunking noise that would sometimes happen even going straight, like two gears were not aligned correctly. I went forward and backward while in 4wd and it still did it. I was at an Auto Zone and the guy that worked there said it sounded like a transfer case issue. Maybe the chain was slapping around in there. Before I go replacing parts, I was hoping that there was maybe one part that gave this type of problem or was the "weak link." I just dont want to start throwing money at it until it gets fixed. I know that it engaged in four wheel drive, but what was making that noise, I dont know. If it is the transfer case, what has to match up in terms of transmission types, gear ratio, etc? It seems harder to find a manual tranny V6 transfer case.

Old 12-12-2006, 02:27 AM
nineighthawk
Amateur

My 94 does the same thing. It is better when on gravel.. It seems to do it on pavement. I'm not sure if it is normal for the dodge 4WD to do this. I have had many other 4x4's and they never clunked. I am very curious to see if anyone else has had this issue and what the cure was.. Or, I would like to know if it's normal. My truck has 150K on it so I assume that it is gonna be something worn out. I just got it so I need to do some investigating and see how all the u-joints are and see what the CV joints look like... I think it could also be a hub acting funny.

Anyhoo.. first post.. Hi all

-Dave-

Old 12-12-2006, 03:45 AM
Caspian

I am going to take the cover off of the front differential and drain all of the oil out of the case and check for metal shavings with a magnet. I think that by doing this, I can pretty much eliminate everything but the transfer case itself. At this point, I am only concerned with having to replace expensive parts. After that, I am going to pull the transfer case this weekend and pull off the cover to see what is going on in there. I flushed out the case and found no metal shavings, and put in new ATF, but the thing stayed the same with the same noise level. The noise that I am talking about is pretty loud and will make you think twice about leaving it in 4WD. We also have a 4wd Ranger, and it sounds nothing like this at all. I am hoping that it is just a chain or something that needs to be replaced inside of the case. From the sound of it, I think that a gear is busted in there though. I will let you know what is going on as soon as I find out. BTW, my truck only has 112k on it, so mileage may not be a factor and the grind is there even while going straight.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:51 AM
nineighthawk
Amateur

I assume that there is a chain tensioner of some sort in the x-fer case. If that fails, it will certainly skip across teeth on the gears. That is what it feels like mine is doing.
Please keep me posted on what you find.
I would appreciate it.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:59 AM
Caspian

Will do, I am hoping to get a general assessment of health on my T case so that maybe the next person wont have to go through all of this and can just read this post. I will let you know what I find tomorrow with the front differential. The way that I see it, I can replace an axle, bushing, or hub much cheaper than the other parts, especially that t case...

Old 12-12-2006, 05:07 AM
nineighthawk
Amateur

I have been checking out some pics of the NP231 x-fer case. There is not a tensioner that I can see. The chain is pretty thick and I don't think that it could slip. I believe it would start slapping pretty loud before slipping.

I am really leaning toward the hubs as the problem. My truck makes a ticking sound when in 2wd that is coming from up fornt somewhere. It might be an unrelated sound but, it's worth investigation.

Old 12-12-2006, 02:37 PM
fishlessman
Professional

if its happening while turning and clickeing in 2 wheel drive it sounds like the cv joints to me. never had that problem, but ive been told thats how you know they are going. they would be louder while in 4 wheel drive and accelerating i would think.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:23 PM
Caspian

That's the real problem for me, it only does it while engaged in 4WD. Otherwise, you would not know it was there. That is what is teling me that it is probably related to the transfer case or front differential. I get out of college soon, so I will know something today.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Needed help with clunking noise while in 4WD