Dodge Sprinter The Dodge Sprinter is all function, with styling cues from the Dodge Truck line, it makes the workaholic's job much easier. Check out the Dodge Sprinter in showrooms today!

Cranks, but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 01:05 PM
moblguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cranks, but won't start

03 Sprinter about 55k

Last week no start dealer diagnosed a bad battery and fuel filter as the problem. I replaced battery and fuel filter and since the truck has started but needed more cranking than normal to start. It started like that all week hot or cold, and ran fine. But this morning was the first start since Friday and it cranks fine but won't start. Seems to have fuel to rail but no start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

Old 12-21-2006, 01:27 AM
PaSRT4
Default RE: Cranks, but won't start

Could be an injector, fuel rail solenoid, high pressure pump, or low pressure pump. It's hard to say without seeing the fuel pressure sensor reading.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:05 AM
vpracegasatlanta

The only way my Sprinter would not start is if the fuel injectors had a problem. I had a leaky injector and it would make the van do strange things... like CUT OUT for no apparent reason. I am on the lookout for some injectors on eBay. Saw some a week or two ago but can't find any now. UGH!

Old 01-11-2008, 02:58 PM
H82typ

Check your anti theft device. The SKIM module. That might be the culprit. You'll have nominal fuel pressure, but the injectors won't open.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:11 PM
onephatcracka
Rookie

Ihave to agree withH82typ. The module on the back of the Instrument cluster may be the culprit. I 've had to replace those and I've also had a no start when the intake resonator blew completely apart. (no boost).

Old 10-02-2013, 09:34 PM
lytning
Default 02 sprinter Hard start

I am not experienced with diesels, just bought an 02 Sprinter it was starting fairly good, but now it has to crank for a bit. I bought a new fuel filter but haven't put it on yet. It has a plastic piece on the filter with an arrow on it and the arrow points toward the back of the truck. To me that doesn't make sense but before I do something I thought I would ask. I see this thread hasn't been very active but I can hope.

Quick Reply: Cranks, but won't start