Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel
Old 08-06-2015, 11:45 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Airbag Shutoff switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 03:52 PM
bert0168
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag Shutoff switch

I have an '05 Quad cab diesel I bought used (50K miles). It was pretty bare bones inside and I have been slowly upgrading things. I notices that the pass. airbag switch plug was installed behind the trim bezel, so Iinstalled an OEM shutoff switch and bezel. Problem is when I shut off the switch, the 'off' light on the switch flashes once and then the "airbag" warninglight stays on on the instrument cluster. The"airbag" light on the cluster stays on no matter if the switch is on or off.

When I disconnected the switch, the light disappeared. Is there a code I need to have reset in the computer or is theresomething else going on? I would like the switch to work so my daughter can ride in the front.

Old 01-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Airbag Shutoff switch

I'm not sure if you can disable the air bag in these trucks. I dont have the feature in mine and I didnt see it in the larimie edition I drove either. it might be a 1500 thing. you could always ask the dealer to see if there is a different programming they can get so you can run it like that.

Old 01-04-2007, 05:26 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

My 202 Dakota had and off switch for the pass side air bag. That is the only one in a Dodge that I have seen.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:16 PM
sabersix

My owner's manual says the airbag switch is only available on the standard cab. You'd think it would work on the quad cab by simply installing the OEM switch. As you suspect there is probably some setting in the computer. I too would be interested to hear of a work around for this.

Old 01-05-2007, 12:48 AM
bert0168
Professional

Thanks for the input. I am taking it to my mechanic tomorrow to put on the scanner and see if there is a setting on the computer. I'll keep you posted

Old 01-06-2007, 03:30 AM
lesimon
Professional

My 2005 Ram 3500 Laramie does not have the switch to disable the passangers air bag, although I know that it shows the switch in the owners manual. I did not see this switch in any dodge truck that I test drove.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:41 PM
bert0168
Professional

Word I got is since the quad cabs have a back seat, the switch isn't installed in the truck. I went to the dealer yesterday and they were going to check the truck computer to see if it needed to be set to read the switch.
The service writer comes back 10 min. later and tells me that they have to do some more research as to if it is both possible and LEGAL???. I can't beleive that since the plug is there that it isn't something as simple as a hidden fuse. Do you think they would put a 1500 wiring harness in a 2500 or 3500 and then have the computer reprogrammed for the switch?

Old 01-06-2007, 02:00 PM
sabersix

Below is some relevent text from the 2004 Service Manual. Hope this helps.

Other manuals are available here.

The passenger airbag on/off switch connects one of two internal resistors in series between the passenger airbag mux switch sense and passenger airbag mux switch return circuits of the Airbag Control Module (ACM). The ACM continually monitors the resistance in these circuits to determine the switch position that has been selected. When the switch is in the Off position, the ACM provides a ground input to the switch through the passenger airbag indicator driver circuit, which energizes the Light-Emitting Diode (LED) that illuminates the Off indicator of the switch. The ACM will also illuminate the Off indicator of the switch for about seven seconds each time the ignition switch is turned to the On position as a bulb test. The ACM will store a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) for any fault it detects in the passenger airbag on/off switch or Off indicator circuits, and will illuminate the airbag indicator in the instrument cluster if a fault is detected. For proper diagnosis of the passenger airbag on/off switch or the ACM, a DRBIIIt scan tool is required. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information.
In standard cab models, the ACM also monitors a resistor multiplexed input from the passenger airbag on/off switch and provides a control output for the Off indicator in the switch through a passenger airbag indicator driver circuit. If the passenger airbag on/off switch is set to the Off position, the ACM turns on the passenger airbag on/off switch Off indicator and will internally disable the passenger airbag from being deployed. The ACM also turns on the on/off switch Off indicator for about seven seconds each time the ignition switch is turned to the On position as a bulb test. Following the bulb test, the ACM controls the status of the Off indicator based upon the resistance of the input from the on/off switch. The ACM will also set and/or store a DTC for faults it detects in the passenger airbag on/off switch circuits, and will turn on the airbag indicator in the EMIC if a fault has been detected.

Old 01-06-2007, 05:05 PM
speakle
All Star

The switch is only available on reg cab, on quad cab there is a pressure switch in the seat. I think I read at 70lbs or so it is activated.

Old 01-06-2007, 06:04 PM
bert0168
Professional

Does that mean that it won't go off if the seat is empty (or < 70#) or it needs to have a passanger to work with the switch added?

Quick Reply: Airbag Shutoff switch