1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Tach and speedometer not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 10:57 PM
brotherbluto
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tach and speedometer not working

My tach, speedo, and temp gauge quit working. My fuel gauge still works. I checked all my fuses and they're all ok. Bought a used cluster off ebay and plugged it in, same thing. Any way of testing the intsrument cluster? Ideas?

Old 01-18-2007, 06:06 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Default RE: Tach and speedometer not working

You can find by following the circuit to test with a 1.5V battery. I've used a 9V before...but it was drained down to 5V
Are you sure you're cluster is pressed all the way in? Are you sure the plugs (behind the cluster) didn't get pushed back? They are easy enough to do so, that's why I ask. What was the last thing that you did that may have caused the issue?

Old 01-19-2007, 01:13 AM
brotherbluto

The car is a '96, 2.0 with a manual trans. I bought the car with a bad trans and changed it with a trans out of a '99. I drove it home and it worked fine, even the cruise worked. Other than cleaning the battery terminals, thats about all I did to it.
I guess I could start poking around to see which circuit feeds the tach and speedo and go from there. It sure seems like the cluster is being plugged in all the way and all the plugs look like they're seated right.

Old 01-21-2007, 04:04 AM
brotherbluto

Anyone know where i can get a wiring diagram for the engine compartment for a '96?

Old 01-27-2007, 05:41 PM
brotherbluto

Anyone know where i can get a wiring diagram for the engine compartment for a '96?

Old 04-12-2007, 02:23 PM
brotherbluto

I thought I should post that I fixed my problem. I copied a wiring diagram from the auto shop at the local highschool. The tach, speedo, and temp sensor wires run together from the engine compartment to the cluster with only one connector on the way. Located behind the radio, connection C23 was diconnected. Plugging it back in and securing it with a ziptie sovled my problem.

Quick Reply: Tach and speedometer not working