1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transmission fluid filter change

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 08:41 PM
cesspool
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission fluid filter change

I wanted to get them changed. I called Michel tire plus and asked about there Trans service. (I saw a big sign when i got tires) They say they flush fluid out but don't change the filter because most are unaccesable. this doesn't sound right. Any one know what they are talking about?

Old 01-25-2007, 01:08 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Transmission fluid filter change

most domestic vehicles, the filter is very visible and accessible when you remove the pan.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:32 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

There are two sides of this, and appear to possibly conflict. I had a smiliar scenario with my 98 Cherokee, heres is what the service tech said. When they do a Trans Flush that is a back flush of trans fluid, I believe they go in through the cooler lines, cycle new fluid into the lines, and pump out old fluid. The pan is never removed, and the filter other than getting fresh fluid cycled through is for the most part never touched. With that said I might suggest one of a series of options for the dilemma.

1. Change fluid/filter yourself, then drive immediately to this servicing facility to get the flush.

Pro:1. Peace of mind of getting a brand new filter when they do the flush/reservice.
2. Being able to inspect the magnet in the pan to see if excessive amounts of metal are collecting in the pan, get an idea of trans wear.

CON: Knowingly sending new fluid into a recycling container for hazmat, out approx 4-6 quarts of TRANS fluid.

Back flush is expensive I will not kid you, around $80-100 in this area plus approx $20-30 if you reservice with filter.

2. Flush/Service without changing filter.

The idea of the back flushing is to cycle through the whoe trans system, changing the fluid/filter in the pan does not flush from the Torque Converter.

They both have their pros/cons, it is just a matter of knowinlgy wasting trans fluid, but if you are prepared, then that should help.

Hope this helps,the mechanic is wrong by saying the filter is not accessable, it is but will cost. He was right in saying the the filter is not part of the trans flush procedure.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:14 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is not recommended to flush our Durango transmissions. As stated, the pan is not dropped to perform a visual inspection, and thus the filter is not changed. The only plus IMO to flushing is that all of the old fluid is removed. But, the flush also can dislodge other crap that has formed allowing it to circulate and cause problems.

For this reason, a simple drain and refill every 30k with filter change is the way to go. There is quite a bit of documentation on the internetwhere folks have had the flush, and then had to replace their tranny shortly thereafter.

Don

Old 01-29-2007, 04:12 PM
dmeray

So what does the dealer or service manual say? To flush or not to flush...that is the question.
Dan

Old 01-29-2007, 09:30 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

I do not want to sound like I am waffling, but possible leakage from a back flushdoes bring up a interesting dilemma, call me paranoid, but I thinksome dealers would tell you to get it flushed, even if they knew the obvious downfall of a possible trans replacement. I hate to think that a dealer would knowingly do that, but I am sure there are dealers/shops that still operate like that. I can't tell you one way or the other about getting the flush or not, it is your call. My Cherokee went over 110k by just simply changing the fluid/filter every 25K miles. I will strongly recommmend that if you do the fluid/filter replacement yourself, Pull and inspect the magnet, check for excessive amounts of metal, there may be very slight shavings that may be normal, but a very small amount. Clean, the pan,magnet and rubber gasket housing thoroughly. Good luck!!! I have about 13K miles before my next filter/fluid replacement is due so hopefully there will be lot of chiming in on this forum between now and then to give me some ideas.

Steve

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid filter change